Author Topic: how long does it take to make a point?  (Read 2398 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

how long does it take to make a point?
« on: November 15, 2011, 10:50:04 pm »
Generaly speaking how long does it take to make a point from a flake?

I said I didn't want to get into boppers and building a ton of flaking tools and yet as if in a trance I walked into the hardware store today  and said "I'd like to look at your copper pipe caps".   ::)

So I'll make to small ones.  Is it necessary to dome them or can should they be left flat?

I was thinking of doming a stick and using that to dome the cap.  then drilling it for a 16 penny nail for the weight.  I don't want to work with lead.  Or use sand in epoxy.  Would that work?  I got a 1/2" cap and I figure I'll put it over the base of an antler tine and sharpen the other end for pressure flaking.

Then a larger cap which I'll put over a stick.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: how long does it take to make a point?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 10:59:03 pm »
Boppers arent that hard to make. I made a bunch years ago with the swedged out copper caps filled with lead and epoxied handle but that perd i was working ate them up within a week so i went solid copper. Anyway you can knock off a flake with a hammerstone and get after it with ishi stick/pressure flaker. Should be able to produce something useable within about an hour or so. Good luck.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 01:24:58 am »
Any guidelines for building an ishi stick?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 01:13:07 pm »
Cut ya off about 18" of heavy broomstick or whittle one out. Drill a hole in the end to accomodate whatever size copper wire you have "mine is ground wire for power poles". I cut a groove all the way around towards the end and wrapped bailing wire twisted tight to keep it from splitting out. Then drilled a hole in the side for a set screw to tighten up against the copper wire inside to seat it. You can use it, sharpen and feed the wire out as it wears down. Clear as mud? That was what i used for a few years then eventually bought one. Maybe someone will post a pic. Very basic construction.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 01:51:04 pm »
I use a carriage bolt to dome my boppers.   Set the cap on a board, put the head of the bolt in it, and hammer it to shape.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 06:10:37 pm »

If you have a ball peen hammer, put it in a vice with the ball end up, and place the cap on it, and start tapping it with a hammer, and you will have a domed cap. ;)

Wayne

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 06:41:46 pm »
Don't have ball piene hammer or big vise. I've raised this sort of thing from flat sheet before!  But that takes tools I don't have anymore.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 09:23:31 pm »
The length of time depends mostly on your skill level.  Most points can be made in 30min to 1 hour by experienced knappers.  Some points can be made very quickly (under 30 minutes), especially the uniface types, even by newbies.

I've used copper caps straight off the shelf.  Works OK.  I've used a friends "domed" bopper and it was pretty slick.  Don't use either one, lately.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline flecha

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 01:19:09 am »
about 20 minutes for hunting grade point from obsidian flake with abo tools
"We roped anything, anytime, anywhere with serene disregard for the consequences.
Arnold Rojas

Offline iowabow

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 02:48:11 am »
Below are the tools I use.  It takes me 40 mins to make top quality hunting points.  When I first started it took 4 hours. 

(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Tower

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 10:02:03 am »
Sime where's between 1 & 3 hrs. For a nice point. For me it depends on the size & workability of the rock.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline JEB

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 10:14:45 am »
Check your local scrap yard for solid copper rounds.  I am lucky that the guys in the scrap yard will set the rounds aside for me.  I have gotten them up to 3" around and sent them all over the place to knappers that want them.  The last time I stopped by, the copper bin had a pile of 3/4" butt caps (new) that someone sold.   Old or new the copper is sold by the pound.

To answer your question. going on 2 years now.  I have to be the worst knapper on here but I keep working at it.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 11:02:56 am »
My opinion:  It depends on the material you are using and the type of point you are making.  Out in the buttes some time ago I made an obsidian point that was serviceable in 6 minutes.  A spall of good jasper or agate seems to always take an hour or so.  A big hunting blade can seem to take forever.  It takes me just as long to make a thin symmetrical bird point as a hunting ishi point!  The real thing about how long it takes to make a point is for me a life time of enjoyment, satisfaction, heart break and blood.  A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 12:00:35 am »
I guess it depends on experience and such if u know what u want where ur going with it and just want to make a ok point it really can be done in the 15 to 20 minute range...again it all depends shape size material..etc... 

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 12:17:16 am »
I haven't been doing it very long, but it usually takes me about an hour to make a hunting point.  It usually takes me about 3 hits and 5 or 6 seconds to break the ones that don't make it in half. :-[

George
St Paul, TX