Author Topic: Black Locust bow,Finely  (Read 20394 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Black Locust bow,Finely
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 11:29:27 am »
Very nice locust bow, Pappy. I am one of those guys that has difficulty making a successful locust bow. I guess I try to treat it like osage . ::)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 11:59:57 am »
Thanks guys,how yall like it really dose matter to me,when you have folks that build fine bows compliment your it means a lot.Ryan I didn't do much different than usually except took more time making sure all the flat spots and the limbs were bending all the way through before bracing
and tillered it real slow inch at a time to draw length.I do pretty much the same with Hickory,
only with Hickory it ant the fret problem as much as it is the hinge problem.I thank the guys on here for letting me know that BL could have that problem if you weren't careful.Osage is just a lot more forgiving at least for me it is. :) Dave the stiching didn't turn out as good as I would have liked ,sometimes I get it right and sometimes I don't.I tryed to use some of Pat's rapping but I sure couldn't get it to work,I guess I need to get with him and let him show me how he dose that
his always looks good. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline richpierce

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 12:09:49 pm »
You should be a very happy Pappy with that one.  I am about to get started on my first bow and have a locust pole seasoning now.  If I can get a workable bow I will be happy but yours is a work of art!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 12:17:36 pm »
Yet another fine bow there Pappy.  I love the relaxed profile.  I like them to come out straight with just a slight turn up at the tips.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007, 12:25:31 pm »
Thanks,Justin thanks for the horns,they looked rough but clean up very nice and easy to work
with.I wanted the horn from you and the handle from Pat  and the Locust came from another good friend Dave in Ky. as I call him, but as I said earlier I couldn't get the rap to do right at all.I guess 2 out of 3 ant bad. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cheapshot

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2007, 04:05:28 pm »
Pappy, very nice bow. I wish I had just a little of your talent. I 'm still trying to learn how to make arrows. I have a BL bow that A good friend made for me. I'm going to hunt with it some this year also. If you make it to our shoot next month bring it with you, I would like to see it in person.

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2007, 04:20:54 pm »
That's a good looking bow!

Doug from Missouri

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2007, 08:43:13 pm »
Fine looking weapon, Pappy, as usual. You da man!

Thanks guys,Ya Marc I was a little worried cause I heard so much about fretting I wasn't sure
but now I like it and plan to do some more.

the only time I've had trouble with locust chrysaling was when I had it tillered unevenly (hinges) or tried to work it when it wasn't completely dry. As long as it's dry and bending evenly, it seems to do fine. Locust actually has extremely high compression strength numbers, don't know why people say that it's weak in compression.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

froplord

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2007, 09:46:36 pm »
Nice bow Pappy, love that Timber rattler.

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 09:51:07 pm »
Sweet lookin bow as usual Love everything about it.You've been quite an influenceCongrats! Hammertime

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2007, 10:30:47 pm »
   Really good looking huntin' bow Pappy.You nailed that one.I only tried locust once and ended up giving it away before I finished it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Robinwho

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2007, 12:40:53 am »
Nice bow papy, I like that skin, I think I have a few timber Ratrs in my freeze, I may just make me one like that.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2007, 01:35:58 am »
Pappy, that is a "finely" built bow..Love that snake on there. I have only made a couple black locust bows, but It's a favorite of mine as well.

Rich

Dingleberry

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2007, 10:28:53 am »
great bow pappy.  :) I can't wait to try a thick handled locust.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2007, 11:59:41 am »
What a fine bow! What else can I say?  ::) Bookmarked for July Self Bow of the Month for sure.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday