Author Topic: All pertied up and ready to dance  (Read 2250 times)

Offline k-hat

All pertied up and ready to dance
« on: November 11, 2011, 07:15:27 pm »
This is a bow i posted previously and finally finished.  My first shorty and the highest poundage I've made so far.  She started at 60# and after shooting in and sanding is at 57#.  Here are the specs:

57# @ 24"
48" ttt, 1/2" pin nocks
3/4" by 4" handle with abrupt fades to 1.5" wide limbs to the last 5 or so inches, narrows to 1/2" at tips.
Slightly flipped tips to help a little with string angle at full draw.
Materials: red oak board with linen over white oak veneer backing to keep 'er from blowing up, leather arrow plate and floppy rest, leather lace handle wrap (temporary till i glue on a cordage handle).  Wood finished with teak oil.
Intended originally slight bend in the handle, but wound up tillering and shooting well without any.  Think that helps with hand shock, which is minimal if any.  She took on about 1-7/8" of set, which i anticipated due to the highly strained design, and planned on to make shooting a little sweeter.  K, here's pics:

She's a bit of a beast to shoot for me, not used to drawing without back tension, but shoots beautifully.  Hope to take her hunting soon!! 8)

Love to hear your comments :laugh:

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: All pertied up and ready to dance
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 07:31:10 pm »
Nice. What did you use to colour the backing? I like the steely ganitey colour.
And to stick it for that matter?
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 07:45:27 pm »
Thanks Del.  I initially dyed the linen with chocolate brown rit dye, but it came out a little splotchy, so i went over it with a thin spray of some brown leather spray paint that i had on hand once i put it on the bow.  The veneer i glued to the red oak had that heat activated glue on the side i faced out, so that initially stuck the linen to the bow, then i went over it with Titebond glue and let it soak in well and dry before the brown spray paint.  Don't know if i would use the veneer again, just had it on hand, but if i did i'd get the plain veneer with no adhesive.  The board (an end piece from a bow i helpd a friend make), veneer, and linen were all just lying around, so i decided to put them to work. :)

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 10:09:24 pm »
I like it a lot  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline coaster500

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 11:41:57 pm »
That little stick looks to be all bussiness    ;)

Bet it hits hard!!

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

TurtleCreek

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 03:08:48 am »
Simple and sweet, I like it

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 04:42:03 am »
nice bow, how's the hand shock?
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Dazv

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 07:42:11 am »
very nice bow i have been getting into short bows over the past few months.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 07:14:55 pm »
Thanks boys, I like it a lot too, but I'm a little partial.  I intended this for hunting, so i kept it simple and tried to keep the shine down so's not to attract wary eyes.  I'm liking the short bow characteristics.  I thought i was a longbow guy, but this is definitely changing my mind!

As far as hand shock, i'm sure there's some but not noticeable to me.  My wife does say i can be insensitive, though  >:D

Thanks again for looking and appreciating ;D