Author Topic: The things you find...  (Read 1465 times)

Offline PatM

The things you find...
« on: November 11, 2011, 01:20:20 am »
outside a Chinese convenience store in Toronto. A milk crate brimming with hedgeapples. When did these become an ornamental import?
 I have to try planting some up here. Should be able to find some suitable area.
 Any tips  on planting? Get them started now or wait until Spring?

Offline Dvshunter

Re: The things you find...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 01:57:09 am »
Try it pat. It just might work.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 04:34:38 am »
I've got a couple of saplings growing right now but the first frosts have just started....so i've wrapped them in straw. They didn't seem to like the cold! I'd probably wait till spring.

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 09:00:38 am »
Patm
   The best way I have found in starting some Osage saplings is to let the hedgeapples dry over winter. They will get real soft and mushy. There are hundreds of seeds in one of those hedgeapples. Take the soft hedgeapple and put them in a five gallon bucket and smash it all up. Pour water in the bucket to about1/4 full. You them make a shallow trench in the soil arounf 2" deep and pour the water and crushed up hedgeapple down the trench. When the little seeds sprout they will be in a row and then you can transplant them which ever way you want. Dean

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 11:11:37 am »
Dean has it right, done the same several times.