Author Topic: Carp cheek tip arrows?  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Carp cheek tip arrows?
« on: November 06, 2011, 02:46:43 am »
So I've seen and heard of the Gar scale arrowhead.  Our local Gar aren't the big alligaotor gars that I assume they are coming from.  We get short nosed, spotted and long nosed Gar . . . which I don't shoot because they are cool hard fighting predators that are a blast to flyfish for.  They are good to eat but they violate one of my cardinal cleaning rules.  No hamer, chissel or sheet metal shears needed in cleaning unless meat returned is double digit.  But mostly because they are a native predator that will help reduce Asian Carp numbers to some degree.

The local dam gets tons of dead carp of all kinds.  There are TONS of those cheek bone plates with the razor edge just laying on the ground out there.

Can they be formed into an arrow point?  It would be ironic to shoot a carp with a carp bone don't you think?

Offline Dazv

Re: Carp cheek tip arrows?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 07:29:54 am »
give it a go and let us all know how you get on good luck.

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 01:44:05 pm »
can you get one and take a pic that shows size and shape and post it?
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline thomas h

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 04:45:33 pm »
i just made some gar scale tipped arrows and i would be very interested in seeing the carp ones also.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 05:49:15 pm »
They are friggin huge!  3" across on average.  I discovered a flat this AM on my "sporting car" so till I get that fixed I'm locked.