Author Topic: Hey Black powder guys  (Read 5096 times)

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
Hey Black powder guys
« on: November 01, 2011, 09:35:23 pm »
I picked up a cva bobcat 50 cal today,was wonder if anyone had info on where to get a wood stock for it?
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Polar Bear

Re: Hey Black powder guys
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 09:49:15 pm »
Go to www.muzzleloadermag.com look at their advertising.  Lots of stock makers out there.  Also go to the CAMPFIRE on the same site and look at the forums.
When we do right no one remembers, when we do wrong no one forgets.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 10:33:46 pm »
 Also Dixie Gunworks sells CVA parts.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 09:18:34 am »
I have two of them.  One shoots 220 grain with sabots like a dream, the other shoots round balls great.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 11:25:16 am »
I would leave it like it is unless you have the skill to restock it yourself from a blank you cut.

Wood M/L stocks don't come as a drop-in item, lots of tedious fitting and shaping even on a precarve, if you could find one for Bobcat. Bottom line, you would have a couple hundred at least in restocking a $90 gun.

If a wood stock is not available, you would have to take the composite stock off your gun, send it with a wood blank to a person with a duplicator who would use your stock as a pattern to duplicate it in wood. It would then be a precarve, similar, but not an exact fit for the barrel and lock which would have to be hand fit by you or a competent gunsmith (more bucks).

Here is a discussion on doing exactly what you have in mind, nice looking upgrades but done by guys who know how to build rifles from scratch.

http://www.tradrag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2432

Here is a step by step on how to upgrade a bobcat to a wood stock.

http://www.tradrag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2377
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 11:42:19 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 12:09:55 pm »
I am always intrigued by a good search for information.

Here is my latest finding.

A CVA Mountaineer is a wood stock version of a Bobcat. I don't know if the stock would interchange but suspect it would with very little fitting.

A place called Deer Creek Products specializes in CVA parts and may have a wood stock to fit your gun. They don't have a website but here is their contact info; Deer Creek Products (6989 E. Michigan Rd., Waldron, IN 46182, or PO Box 246, same ZIP; phone 765-525-6181)