Author Topic: ERC Takedown - (new tiller)  (Read 12859 times)

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
ERC Takedown - (new tiller)
« on: July 15, 2007, 04:37:22 pm »
(New tiller pics are on pg 2)

Here's my latest attempt, which took a lot of pain.  I had some ERC logs around 35", that I'd salvaged from a neighbor's brush pile.  I had intented to make arrows from them, but a couple pieces just looked like bow billets to me.  I didn't have much width or length, so I didn't want to give up 4" to splice them.  I've been wanting a takedown hunting bow anyway, so I tried my hand a using a metal bow sleeve, per Jay St. Charles in TBB Vol 3.

ERC is notorious for breaking, but I got my heart set on making a T/D selfbow of at least 55 lbs, using a thin layer of sapwood for the back.  I had just got it tillered to full draw, when one limb exploded on the tiller tree.  Being bull-headed, I made a third limb and tried again.  This time it made it to completion, and shot a few arrows.  I put all of the finishing touches on it, went to try it again, and BAM!  The new limb blasted to bits.

Through my tears, I inspected both busted limbs and determined that the point of failure in both cases was, as you might guess, at the joint of the smaller sleeve insert.  Being extremely bull-headed, I made a fourth limb.  This time, I put some B50 wrapping around each limb where it enters the sleave.  This billet, being my third choice, had some twists and knots that made things interesting.

I got to thinking that corn snake skin would make for a nifty camo.  Not having any cornsnakes, I faked it with markers and the sheds of a black racer over the top.  I was leary of a knot at one of the tips, so I tried my hand at some elkhorn overlays.  (Didn't really know what I was doing here, so I just kinda made them up as I went.  Any pointers are welcome.)  I put on a basic leather wrap, folded over at the top for a shelf.

The top limb is a tad shorter than the bottom, so I tillered it a bit weaker.  I may have overdone this a little.  Actually, I expected the short limb to end up on the bottom, but it shoots better this way.  Here are the specs:

55 lbs @ 26"
68" nock-to-nock
1.5" wide at widest point, tapering to 1/2" at tips

It's had about 100 arrows through it, and I think it's going to survive this time.  There are plenty of things that aren't perfect about this bow, but it's my best shooter yet and I'm reasonably happy with it.  I'm still a beginner, so all suggestions are very welcome.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 06:40:50 pm by Stickhead »

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
Re: ERC Takedown
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 04:38:47 pm »
Some more pics...

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 04:39:41 pm »
And a couple more...

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 04:41:57 pm »
Neat! The color on it is wonderful! I especially like the 'cornsnake' backing, Great job!
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 05:47:58 pm »

8) ....does help to be bull-headed sometimes! - little bit more mid-limb bend in the lower limb i'd say?!
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 06:13:14 pm »
Very nice ERC bow. The snake skins are beautiful and the yellow B-50 compliments well. I agree with Frank about the lower limb being a bit still. Looks like the outer 1/2 to 1/3. Thats a neat idea about painting on the color and design and adding a shed skin over it. Did the other limbs break at the sleeve? if so, maybe a raw hide backing that is added before attaching the sleeve would protect that area.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 06:29:05 am »
Very cool stickhead,looks like you done a mighty fine job on that one.Its a beauty. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 07:39:00 am »
Sweet! Good looking weapon, and that's quite imaginitive artwork with the markers and shed skin. Good job.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

DBernier

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 07:56:08 am »
Hey Stickhead, sure wish you lived closer to PatB's and could come down at the end of the month. I would love to see that bow in the flesh. I will have about 8 pieces of ERC there and hope the fellows can get me started in the right direction. "Everything" about your bow is a class act and I so want to do one of my own. Great job and I admire your workmanship. Shed skin over paint? Out standing!

Dick

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 10:08:24 am »
Thanks for the kind words, guys.  As for the tiller, I know it's a little stiffer on the bottom, which was partially intentional.  I ended up weakening the top limb a little more than I intended.  It was a little tricky tillering a new limb to match a finished, and I think the final sanding threw it off a little.

I don't want to lose any weight, so I haven't messed with the bottom limb's tilller.  However, it occurs to me that since it's a little longer than the top (by 1/2" or so), I suppose I could pike it an inch.  That way, maybe I'd regain the couple of pounds I lose from tillering.  Of course, I'd have to relocate the overlay, but then, I've already done that twice before.  Hmmm.

Dick - thanks, and good luck with that ERC.  It can be a cruel mistress.  Keep it wide if you can, and if you've got more sense than me, you'll back it.  Fraid I can't get to NC this month, since I'll be heading up to Denton Hill.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 01:56:00 pm by Stickhead »

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 11:35:41 am »
Its a work of art, love the snake skin. Tiller is bad at all. Way to persevere.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline jpitts

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 12:03:12 am »
Thats a beautiful Bow. Great job
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 09:11:10 am »
Congratulations on a  very nice  bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 10:53:03 am »
I love that bow. I'll never look at cedar the same again!
  How is cedar in compression strength? How does it compare to other bow woods?
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

330bull

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 10:59:58 am »
Way to hang in there; the finished product is incredible!!!  Nice work!  Joe