Author Topic: Hickory "run-outs"??  (Read 1441 times)

TurtleCreek

Hickory "run-outs"??
« on: October 22, 2011, 03:04:34 pm »
  When dealing with hickory board bows, is there an acceptable number of grain "run-outs" you can have in the board and still make a good bow if backed with rawhide?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hickory "run-outs"??
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 03:09:41 pm »
I haven't made many board bows but the grain on top and on the sides has to be considered. If you have a runoff that comes to a point on the edge(top and side grain) it will probably be a problem. With a wood backing it would be less but even with rawhide the side grain can lift a splinter along the edge. A pic would help.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 10:31:23 pm »
The angle on the run out is what is important !
Hickory will take more than most of the others !
how far down the limb to how far across the limb does your grain run ? How heavy a draw weight you doing ?
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 11:05:22 pm »
2 per lim for 50-55# max. If there are more, back it with silk linen or burlap.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 11:16:34 pm »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

TurtleCreek

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 04:46:58 am »
  I plan on making a wide over built flat bow, 65 inches long, somewhere around 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inches wide at the fade.  I am not sure if I want to go with a pyramid style limb or run it parallel to just past mid limb and taper the sides from there to the tips.  It's just in the planning stages right now, but I would like to end up with a bow of about 45 pounds at my 27 inch draw length. 

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 08:06:01 am »
  I've never made a board bow. But I'd think you sure would want any run off. PAT problely right with a wood backing you'd less likely to have a splinter.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 12:00:39 pm »
Backing it with rawhide will allow you to use a pretty nasty hickory board and still make a great bow. I wouldnt concern myself unless the run outs are at a sharp angle and/or if there are plenty of them. Put the "best " section of grain on the bottom side and build away man!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 01:50:24 pm »
  I took a super close look at the hickory I plan on using for this bow.  There are absolutely no areas where the grain comes to a point on the corner edges.  And it appears that the actual grain on the sides of this piece where I think there is "run-ups" or "run-outs" are no more than 5 degrees to the back or belly.