Author Topic: Busted by a Old Hen  (Read 1886 times)

Grunt

Busted by a Old Hen
« on: October 20, 2011, 11:17:43 am »
All, here is a entry from my hunting journal.

Oct 13th hunting log entry
Hunting deer on my land in Avery county NC    50. cal flintlock 
I was hunting deer yesterday evening and here is how it went. I was sitting about five yards below a ridge line overlooking a ravine. The ravine was about twenty five yards to the bottom where a small creek flowed. The leaves were coming off and the colors beautiful. I sat for about a hour and a half and saw squirrels and crows and nothing else. I decided to sing the Lakota Deer Calling song so I dug out one of my little cards with the song I am trying to learn on it and sang the song softly. I had about a half hour of shooting light left and was getting ready to go when I heard leaves rustling behind me on the crest of the ridge. I slowly turned my head like an owl and saw deer legs under some thick brush. I started to turn my shoulders around to raise up my flintlock and a small purple head appeared over the top of a small bush between me and the ridge top and the deer legs. The Deer Calling song had worked but there was a old hen turkey between me and the approaching deer! That turkey started yelling " watch out, watch out, there's a two legged here". The deer heard and I saw the white flags of their tails moving off and heading for Yancey county. It was not the interaction with the natural world I had in mind at the moment but I got a good lesson on how the winged and the four legged help each other out. Couldn't help but laugh as I followed the path home. Maybe turkey pot pie next spring.
Rodger   

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Busted by a Old Hen
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 11:27:08 am »
Cool story,ya they will give you away sometime. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 01:04:07 pm »
Gus, I need a song like that.  How about posting that little song of yours?  ;) 

Thanks in advance, dpgratz  ;D ;D
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Grunt

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 05:24:45 pm »
Gus, I need a song like that.  How about posting that little song of yours?  ;) 

Thanks in advance, dpgratz  ;D ;D
The Lakota Deer Calling song is a prayer. Without belief the song or prayer won't work. Tap into your beliefs and create a song or prayer or both. Watch out for turkeys!!! 

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 07:40:07 pm »
 Nice story, but it's times like that that got me to hunting with my double 12 black powder. I have a .69 cal roundball in one barrel and 32,  #3 buckshot in the other. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 11:55:40 am »
  Is that fair. :-[
  I saw DAN FITZJERRLLE praying for a deer the other day. I thought that aint fair. :'(
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING