Author Topic: Arundinaria gigantea "rivercane"  (Read 1988 times)

Offline nmcnaughton

Arundinaria gigantea "rivercane"
« on: October 19, 2011, 10:06:38 am »
 I live in mid Michigan. While working on a roof near home, I noticed that there was river cane in their garden. I asked the home owner and he told me it was "Arundinaria gigantea".The home owner said that it seems to die so he cuts it down.  I would like to know if that is in fact the rivercane used for arrows and atlatals. If so do you cut and use one years growth 7'to8' or let it grow for two seasons.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Arundinaria gigantea "rivercane"
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 11:51:59 am »
River cane could have been planted there for it's landscape value. If he is cutting it back each year it won't be good for arrows because the culms will be immature. If it would survive the winters and each culm would survive to the next year you could harvest them(second year growth) for arrows and atlatl darts.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nmcnaughton

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 04:03:11 pm »
thank you i'll plant some and see what happens.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 04:19:15 pm »
You might have a better chance with Arundaneria appalaciana(Hill cane). It grows here in the mountains where it gets colder than where other Arundinaria species(river cane and switch cane) grow. It is the only diciduous native cane and can easily take temps near "0" if not slightly below.
  Hill cane is what grows along my driveway. Art Butner(Artcher1) says he likes it better than any other cane for arrows. It only grows to 6' to 7' tall and 1/2" at the biggest on the butt end.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nmcnaughton

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 07:55:54 pm »
thanks I will plant both and see what happens.