Author Topic: sourwood ID in the field(woods)  (Read 5920 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
sourwood ID in the field(woods)
« on: October 16, 2011, 05:46:00 pm »
I went for a walk in our woods the other day with my pruners on my hip. This time of year it is easy to see sourwood trees because of their color. In a few weeks the leaves will be down and I'll take pics of more visible sourwood shoots.
 These pics aren't real clear because of the bright sun but if you look closely you will see the sourwood shoots sticking straight up above the clusters of brightly colored leaves.

...some are bigger than others. These two will be atlatl shafts with the longest being about 75" long...

Each shoot is one years growth. For shafting you want shoots after their second growing season. From these pics you can see how the sourwood grows with a shoot and a cluster of branches at the top and another shoot the next year and a cluster of branches, etc...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: sourwood ID in the field(woods)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 10:30:08 pm »
Cool post Pat.  So, sourwood...Tupelo? that's a good honey plant.  I not sure that we have that in S. Indiana, maybe too far North.   
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 02:00:31 am »
Sourwood and tupelo are two different trees...but both make good honey.  ;)  There may be a few sourwoods in S. Indiana but not many.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 10:24:02 am »
Next time you get to my place I want you to take me out and show it to me,I think you said I had some around,I love it for arrows,but I have always traded for mine.I would love to harvest my own. Can't really tell from the pictures,I need some hands on. ;) ;D ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 03:25:56 pm »
Yeh im like Pappy.  Its real hard for me to learn by pics.  I think Iv seen those around here in VA though.  Pat B can you post a closer pic of the leaves and clump of leaves?
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline artcher1

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 06:41:24 pm »
Sourwood makes fine shooting arrows as you can see >:(

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 07:07:58 pm »
Ouch Art. That is painful with sourwood or cane arrows!
 No problem Pappy. We'll do a botanical walk about at the Classic!  ;D
  Cherokee I'll try to get some pics of leaves and clusters of leaves for you. Might even get some bark pics of a mature tree.

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 07:13:36 pm »
Cool thanks Pat!
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 09:05:58 pm »
Cool pat! That is quite helpful... You know if you need a new atlatl to use with those longer shoots, I have one up for trade in the tradig post.... :):):):)

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 11:44:10 pm »

No problem Pappy. We'll do a botanical walk about at the Classic!  ;D

I'd like to tag along!
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 12:15:25 am »
I think I know where a lot of that is......what would be the second year growth?  Would that be the shoot under the next cluster above it?
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 02:42:36 am »
Beetle, in the first pic you see the shoot. Just above but out of the pic there are small branches radiating out from the shoot. If it has branches it is at least 2 years old. First year growth only has leaves along the shoot.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 10:37:24 am »
artcher1, your nock wrapping sure held up good.  ::) 

Pat, I talked to a state biologist yesterday and he said that they arn't in the state field guides, but possibly farther south in the state than we are and possible a stray few up this far.  I've never been to the classic, but it sounds right to have a nature walk if the trees and plants we use are in the vacinity.  I'm gonna try to make next years.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline artcher1

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 11:24:30 am »
You're right Bowtarist, that upholstery thread wrap held up surprising well. Easily repairable with a reverse foot and re-nock.

Yeah, that hurts with these type arrows Pat. But doing repairs is part of the arrow making process too........Art

Offline artcher1

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 03:29:42 pm »
Well that was easier than I thought it would be! A little super glue and wrap to snug everything back up, and a super glue finish to seal the shaft.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread Pat, just wanted to show sourwood's potential as a first class arrow material.