Author Topic: 53"sinew backed osage (updated 12/11/11)  (Read 25390 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: 53"sinew backed osage
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2011, 03:06:51 pm »
I took this bow off the form yesterday to see how the reflex was holding and to give the sinew job a close examination. I'm glad I did because there were some small voids along the edge on the far side. At some point I will add a bit more sinew on the sides of the bow towards the back to fill in the voids and  to insure the sinew doesn't lift.
  I don't thing there will be an issue of not making weight. I bent the bow a little and it seems pretty stiff.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2011, 09:34:01 pm »
 Now Pat don't you be going and rushing things ya ol dog. It's only been two days curring! Thats the biggest challenge for me is being patient enough and giving plenty of drying time. Sounds like she is doing good ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2011, 09:54:57 pm »
Keenan, I'll be off work tomorrow due to rain so I plan to do the final sinewing along the sides of the limbs at the backing. After that I can forget it for a month or so then start retillering. The air here is drying as winter approaches and our wood stove sucks most of the moisture out of the air even with a pot of water on top so it should be pretty dry by then. I know it will cure more over time but it should be OK to work by then.    The backstrap sinew sure lays flatter and smoother than leg sinews.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2011, 10:08:02 pm »
Thats about the scenario here as well. Still prepping sinew for mine. wood stove in house and in shop. Great for drying!  Also getting ready to put some skins on that bow you made for Lulyn.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2011, 12:29:19 am »
I'm chomping at the bit to see that bow again after you added your magic.  8) ...and it's only a year late!  ::)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2011, 07:03:14 pm »
After another month of drying I took her off the form. She held almost 5" of backset. I began tillering her the other day and got to a point where I felt comfortable shooting her. I put about 2 dozen arrows through her and she did well especially since the arrows weren't set up for this bow. I left her braced for about 3 hours after shooting. When I unbraced her she laid flat and after a while had 1" of backset. Her limbs have very quick recovery.
  Yesterday I added Am. bison horn(from Justin Snyder) overlays and shaped the tips. Today I added coachwhip snake skin that Cipriano sent me. I used hide glue for the skins and this is a first for me. So far I like it. I did use TBIII on the horn overlays but other than that everything is natural.
  Here are a few tease shots for ya!  ;) 

Offline Keenan

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2011, 07:42:15 pm »
Oh my, that is going to be a nice one Pat. Can't wait to see her all detailed out.  ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2011, 07:46:25 pm »
Yea Keenan. She's gonna be nice!!!  8)  I'll wait another few weeks before stressing her again. Give the moisture from the hide glue time to evaporate.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2011, 08:22:26 pm »
Wow.   8)   She's definitely gonna be a looker as well as a performer!  Nice work can't wait to see her finished!  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2011, 09:15:14 pm »
Looks super Pat.  That snakeskin suits that bow to a tee.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Parnell

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2011, 09:23:47 pm »
I'm lookin forward to seein her!
1’—>1’

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2011, 09:42:24 pm »
That's looking sweet Pat. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2011, 10:26:00 pm »
that is going to be a great little shooter...i think it would be a good one for turkey hunting....john

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2011, 10:32:13 pm »
 That's gonna be a pretty one, Pat.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2011, 11:38:17 pm »
Turned out nice, Pat!  I really like that style of bow.  I've made a few and one think I've found... You're not gonna want to put it down. 
Cheers to ya!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI