Author Topic: Hard Spot?  (Read 3340 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Hard Spot?
« on: October 14, 2011, 10:35:17 pm »
I had a nice point about done that had a hard spot near the base.  This spall had cortex over a large area and I fought it all the way.  The bump was far enough in I decided to leave it and corner notch it.  Big mistake as I promptly stalled both notches and then nocked off a corner.  So, I reworked the base flat to do some side notches and ran right into that hard bump.  I smacked at it from a couple angles and it totally defied me.  Finally I wound up and gave it one of those do or die/break the point whacks.  A little chip flew off the edge of it and into the back of my knuckle.  I bled like I've not bled before knapping.  Ran into the house and took out 2 incredibly thin pieces of flint.  This morning I took out another  one.  The way it's festering up I suspect there's still another one in there.  Good grief.  Still don't know what to do with the point.  I hit it so many times the  base isn't flat across anymore.  Not sure I have a shaft thick enough to haft it to.  Hate to give up on it though.   The heart is from a white spall too small for a point.

George

St Paul, TX

Offline Tower

Re: Hard Spot?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 10:53:23 pm »
When the stone is hard it helps me to keep my platforms close to the face I want it to travel. Less resistance. That's perfect size to heat treat! Treat it & try to thin some more. 
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 12:38:19 am »
Looking at the pictures I think the hump was really on the opposite side of the point I was working on.  That's one of my problems, I get fixated on what I think is the problem and then don't take a good look at it.  As you point out, it looks like I didn't have the platform close enough to that edge to drive that flake.  Pictures really give you a chance to look at the point, just like it helps tillering a bow.

Thanks for the help.  :)

My wife decided we needed a laminate floor in her sewing room so my knapping time will be minimal this weekend.  My back hurts already and all I did was unload the boxes of flooring.  I was quite a bit younger the last time I did this.  O well, too cheap to pay somebody else to do it. ::)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 07:17:56 pm »
Ah, just put the last of the trim in Mary's sewing room.  Got her sewing machines and TV back in.  The rest she'll do herself.  Glad to have this job behind me.

Maybe after church I can take another crack at that hard spot.  This spall was heat treated, does it sometimes help to heat treat a second time?

Thanks,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline warhawk

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 07:23:35 pm »
GREAT JOB ON THE FLOOR.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline Tower

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 09:53:26 pm »
Its nice ro stand back & look at a job that's done well! Great looking floor!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 11:51:34 pm »
Thanks guys.  Laminate floors thankfully don't demand great skill and look pretty good.

I did get out in the shop and cleaned up the point that started this thread.  I worked a few minutes to strengthen that platform and...

drove a nice flake that removed that hard bump.  I really whacked it and thankfully didn't break it.  After a little more thinning and then notching I got this point.

Since that went so well I took out a really thin spall that had cortex over 1 whole side.  I wasn't sure there would be enough flint there for a point, but it actually turned out quite nice...other than I had the notch on the base get away from me.

Good day.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline warhawk

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 12:56:03 am »
Hope you get a trophy buck with that one soon.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 02:41:46 am »
nice point's George, but the one that gave ya fit's turned out real nice, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 10:26:11 am »
Determination. that's the only way to get through those hard spots. That brings back memories ;D. Point's are looking deadly George, but that floor is Wow!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Tower

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 12:15:17 pm »
That point cleaned up nice. Perfect weight. Both points are killers. Ditto on what cowboy said, sometimes ya just can't let em beat ya!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 12:31:16 pm »
 Nice ones, George. I've found out that sometimes it pays to put a troublesome one down for awhile and go at it later with a different outlook.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 03:00:47 pm »
Good point Eddie, bout everything else in life is like that.  I should've figured that out. 

I'm just beginning to get a handle on notching (knocking furiously on wood).  Now I'm struggling with getting them even.  Had to make these wider as they weren't aligned very well. 

Thanks all.  George
St Paul, TX

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 10:45:04 am »
Way to make it happen George.  I really like the first point you posted after finishing it.  I do what Eddie said a lot too.  Get to a road block, put it down and grab another, come back to the road block later w/ a different mind set.  Great looking points!!
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 08:59:29 pm »
Thanks.  I think this point that fought me so badly is the one I'll have on the bow tomorrow when I'm hunting.  Spins nice and true.

George

St Paul, TX