Author Topic: I'm getting the Reflex-Deflex bows down. MY latest.  (Read 7649 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

I'm getting the Reflex-Deflex bows down. MY latest.
« on: October 13, 2011, 05:27:01 am »
I shall name her "Mine". . . as in NOT for trade, sale or any other nonesense.  Though I've got my jigs and process worked out and some more in the pipes.  Also I'm trying to settle on a bow fishing reel design.  This is the first.  I think it shifted down a tad during lacing but all else looks fine.

Bamboo backed hickory with walnut, maple and yellow pear handle.  Arrow rest and tip overlays are African Black Wood.  The spool is willow that I have been moving around for a few years now.  It's super light weight but more dense than pine (not a lot).  I figured i try a shoot through spool first.  55#@ 28" or so.  I forgot to weigh it after final sanding.  It's not shot in yet so I'll shoot a few fish first and see what it settles into.  In preliminary tests the spool worked well.  I'm using catfish trotline in a 100+# range which I waxed as my arrow line and sisal to attach it.  Will probably get real arrow line and para cord later.

going to make meat tomorrow (after making a box and shipping out the traded bows).  I need fertilizer and smoking fish.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 03:26:33 am by Prarie Bowyer »

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: I'm getting the Reflex-Deflex bows down. MY latest.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 05:35:15 am »
need to improve my photo station.  I didn't think the wall would be visible behind the fabric.   :-\

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 06:00:37 am »
Lookin good.
I wondered what the Radar dish on the front was at first :-[.
Good fishing.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 11:51:13 am »
Yeh looks like you are getting to be a pro at reflex deflex.  The reel doesnt get in the way of you holding the bow?
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 12:50:05 pm »
Lets see a full draw pic r/d pro! Whats with the 3" brace?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 01:18:06 pm »
Very nice looking bow. Agree with PD, need full draw :)
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 02:07:41 pm »
Cool bow!  Love bamboo backed woods.

Even cooler reel, love bowfishing, too! Good shootin to ya!

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 06:02:15 pm »
Lets see a full draw pic r/d pro! Whats with the 3" brace?

I usualy do this stuff by myself.  Most of my photo work is late at night.  I'll need to get it back on the tiller stick for that which I can do.

The shoot through bow fishing spool worked great today.  I guess even fish get schooled in the profile of the implements of death.  I saw ONE fish that kinda gave me a shot today.  So I spent about an hour (after spending 3 staring into the water) shooting at a floating can.  I killed it eventualy  :P.  The bow shoots GREAT!.  The fiberglass arrow is obviously stiff and shoots to the left.

The short brace height.  I just tend to go small BUT my string was stretching also it looks like.

The spool attachment was super steady with just holes drilled to lace through.  It rides bigger than the grip area so its not in the way.  The top needs to be tied first.  I did the bottom and it shifted down a bit which made it a bit harder to aim.  I'll do a little one next.  Just need to fix that jig for cleaning up the inside.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 06:20:38 pm »
great post! been wanting to figure out a bowfishing set up
you have inspired me
thanks!
wild women don't get the blues

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 07:04:36 pm »
PD I shoot most all of my full draws, just use the timer and turn down the john mayall so I can here the beep, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 07:09:33 pm »
Yes Sir!

Good Looking Bow!

And I love your Fishing Reel.
Fishing is how I cut my eye teeth on my old Bear recurve takedown.
Can't think of too many things that would improve snap shooting skills more... maybe wing shooting...

Shooting Aspirin is currently out of my league... :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 07:29:18 pm »
Thanks!

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 03:42:45 am »
Shooting Aspirin is currently out of my league... :)

-gus

I'm almost positive those guys are using exploding asprins and a slight of hand trick. :P

so I broke this bows board mate today :(.  I guess I got cocky.  I tried to go a bit deeper and push the bends more to the ends of the bow.  Came out of the hot box with a snap in the limb.  I was racking my brain to try and figure out what I did wrong-> different from my other three reflex deflex bows.  The imperfect one I traded away didn't crack and it's curves were definately deeper!.  Then I realized.  When I bandsawed the belly taper i don't think I cleaned up the bandsaw marks.  I know I didn't put the pieces back on .  On the others I cleaned up the saw marks then tack glued the same pieces I just cut off back on for clamping into the form.  Brought it up to 140* for a few hours then let it cool over night.

On this one I thought I'd need less clamping pressure if I left those off and probably didn't need them any way.  I guess they are more important than I thought. ::)  Lesson learned. 

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 06:25:05 pm »
Got some better photos taken.

Full draw was taken by my 4year old.  So perspective is slightly distorted. :laugh:

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 06:56:11 pm »
Full draw was taken by my 4year old.  So perspective is slightly distorted. :laugh:

I thought there was an element of hero worship in that picture!  At least your kid didn't try to eat the camera....not that I did that when I was four.  But that's only because my parents were too smart to hand me a camera.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.