Author Topic: Back From The Taxidermist!  (Read 4532 times)

Offline Almostpighunter

Back From The Taxidermist!
« on: October 07, 2011, 03:07:14 am »
Got a nice package in the mail this afternoon. The Euro skull and hide of the Corsican Ram I shot back in June:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,26688.msg358010.html#msg358010

I have to say I've heard a lot of horror stories about various taxidermists, but I couldn't be more pleased with these results (so I guess I am 1/1).

I will be making the WORLD'S MOST UNIQUE SKULL MOUNT SHIELD EVER (this is going to be another one of my "be afraid...be very afraid" situations) and, of course, a quiver from the hide. Stay tuned, I will put some pics up when each are done.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Back From The Taxidermist!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 10:37:58 am »
Real nice!
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 11:31:36 am »
Very nice,wished I had mine done like that instead of a regular mount. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 12:55:37 pm »
Beautiful Euro mount.  That looks great.  In my opinion, Euro mounts are the way to go.  They are cheaper and look cooler.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 01:26:15 pm »
Way cool APH. I too love the euromount. hide is beautiful as well. 
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 01:35:39 pm »
Whoa-oh black betty, Ram-a-lam!  Awesome! 

Didja eat the meat?  What did you think of it?

Next time just follow Osage Outlaw's thread on how to do a Euro mount and save yourself the expense.  He goes into deep detail and it may sound difficult by just reading, but it's really not that hard.  Can't wait to see how you mount it up!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 02:57:43 pm »
that looks nice!!!! Now you have an awesome memento from what I bet was an exhilarating hunt... Congrats and can't wait to see what you come up with...  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 03:50:18 pm »
Thanks guys!

@ JW Halverson: You bet we ate and are still enjoying. I took the backstraps, ribs and tenderloins striaght to the grill and they were UNBELIEVABLE!!! Cooked these along with some left over wild boar ribs and chops. The unique flavor of the Ram made it the days winner from the crowd! Tastes very much like lamb but is less gamey when cooked medium rare, but gets more gamey than lamb when cooked all the way through. It can also be tougher (more like mutton than lamb...I would guess as we don't eat mutton in this country) so have to do a good job removing all the silver skin from the meat. The tougher parts I had ground up, spiced with onions and cased into bratwurst which we are still ejoying at random from the freezer.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 08:16:36 pm by Almostpighunter »

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 03:58:09 pm »
Oh, one other thing guys. I was going to follow Osage Outlaw's DIY euro mount as JW mentions. But when I went to the taxidermist he convinced me that Ram's are different from other animals when it comes to doing mounts because of the way their horns grow. Apparently the Ram horns are hollow, unlike the antlers in the deer species, and need to be removed so the keratin-like solids that the horns rest on can be preserved; otherwise you risk getting bugs nesting up inside the horns. He actually had someone else's skull mount in his shop that only needed to have the horns "re-attached" so he was able to show me exactly what he was talking about.

Now me being barely one tippy toe out of the ignorance pool I didn't want to risk it, but for future reference, did I get played? I feel pretty confident with this guy but like I said I really don't know.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 04:14:40 pm »
Cool....very cool. I got my 300# bear done the same exact way, I love it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 06:05:44 pm »
He was correct.  The horns do slip off.  I don't know anything about how to take care of those horned critters. 

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 06:41:42 pm »
Nice Trophy you have there Mr. PigHunter.  :)

Osage Outlaw:
In reviewing your European Mount thread again a question came up for me.
Did you mix the 30% Peroxide with water when soaking the skull or just use it straight?
I'm doing a Wild Boar and Javelina skull at the moment and about to go to the Peroxide step.

Thanks Y'all!

-gus

"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 07:10:26 pm »
I used 30 VOLUME straight, no water.  With peroxide, there is a difference between volume and %.  It is affected by temp. also.  If it is cold, it won't whiten as well.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 07:18:48 pm »
Ah... Mi Savy.

Looked it up, 30 Volume equates to a 9% Peroxide solution.

Excellent Thank You!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 10:37:57 pm »
Once I got some 50% peroxide.  I had to water it down.  I think that stuff would melt concrete.

Hey Almostpighunter, I think you should change your name to Ramslayer.  That is a nice set of horns.