Author Topic: Need some Rock  (Read 2169 times)

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
Need some Rock
« on: October 05, 2011, 01:35:31 pm »
I want to buy some good flint.  Any kind is fine w me.  I have been in college for 5 years and havnt had money for decent rock other than some obsidian.  I just graduated in May and have a job so its time I buy some decent stuff so I can start progressing.  Who do you guys recommend for good rock?  I dont really want high dollar stuff just good decent rock.

K.C.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 01:50:20 pm by CherokeeKC »
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline AncientArcher76

Re: Need some Rock
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 01:56:23 pm »
If you want stone fast check out ebay and windmillhill is her screen name also Curt is selling some good rock  Curts Chert, you can get through to him via flintnappers.com or paleoplanet, He is very reliable and always have good rock for a good price,  Then you have Neolithics.com  with Craig ratzat...another good man with tons of rock.  If you live in an area where there might be knappable material you should just check into it you may find what you are looking for on your own.  I just located a huge pile of slag glass, I once found a few pieces a few years ago and I found the source from where it came from...it isnt flint but it will make nice blades and points!  So I hope that helps you some.  If you need more info or help email me I will be glad to help.

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 04:07:59 pm »
I don't have rock to get rid of, but I checked w/ a local geologist and he turned me on to a place that I can find some chert close to home.  If you PM me w/ and email, I can forward you an email I once got from a guy on here telling me of the folks that have reliable resources for sale.  Good luck!!
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 10:07:25 pm »
can send you a little obsidian - wha cha got to trade?

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 10:51:40 pm »
Thanks Ben but i want some flint at the moment.  PM sent bowtarist.
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 12:45:28 pm »
Replyed back CKC.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 05:05:38 pm »
Don't buy anything until you check your local landscaper supply.  They usually have something worth knapping or at least some rocks for hammerstones and abraiders.  Also try to make it to a knap-in and see what they got.

The best way to buy stone is in one big lump of several hundred pounds, IMO.  That way you still have a good amount left after you ruin the first hundred pounds....  :o;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 08:13:38 pm »
Don't buy anything until you check your local landscaper supply.  They usually have something worth knapping or at least some rocks for hammerstones and abraiders.  Also try to make it to a knap-in and see what they got.

The best way to buy stone is in one big lump of several hundred pounds, IMO.  That way you still have a good amount left after you ruin the first hundred pounds....  :o;D

HAHAHAHAHA....true, and funny.  That's rich!!

Offline warhawk

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 12:51:12 am »
 Hi there i would recommend Texas chert ot obsidian they are cheap to buy and easy to work. The suggestion about Ebay is the best answer and i would also try Flinknappingtools.com. good luck warhawk.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.