Author Topic: cold weather affects on self bows  (Read 1866 times)

Offline mspink

cold weather affects on self bows
« on: October 05, 2011, 01:44:39 am »
Hi everyone. Going hunting in north washington in november and was wondering how cold it has to get before a self bow would deteriorate or break, if it will at all. I have used them in colder weather before but the reason im asking is because i will be out in the field for four or five days with plenty of time for my bow to get nice and cold. Will it be affected or should I just stop worrying about it? Any advice will help thank you. Im not sure how cold it will get but im sure it will be around freezing or below but shouldnt be bellow zero.
Aim small miss small!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: cold weather affects on self bows
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 07:18:25 am »
I wouldn't worry about the cold,now damp/ moisture is another matter. I have heard it is pretty wet in that area in the fall and winter. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mspink

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 02:05:19 pm »
It should be snowing around that time hopefully. But there will still be a great deal of moisture in the air, what could I do to minimize the affects the moisture would have on my selfbow?
Aim small miss small!

Offline druid

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 02:07:40 pm »
I never had problems with selfbows in sub zero conditions. Last winter I braced my bl 125# bow, placed it in the snow, wait for 45 mintes and full draw immidiatly- without any problems, everything was fine.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 03:42:09 pm »
I have hunted the late season here in Oregon many times with self bows and many frosty or snowy days. No problems. Just make very sure you have good sealent as Pappy said the moister is a bigger concern then the cold.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 05:12:59 pm »
I went stumping with a hickory bow in -5 deg F about 10 years ago. Krazy ha? Moisture can be a bigger problem as mentioned. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 05:52:24 pm »
The bow will take the cold better than our bodies will, I wouldn't be worrying about the bow ;D