Author Topic: Pike ??  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Rick Wallace

Pike ??
« on: October 04, 2011, 10:28:49 pm »
I have a hickory bow,rawhide backed,,its overall length is 72".  It pulls 40#,,I want a little more out of it,,if I pike it how much weight can I gain with 1" 2"  ect...  im trying to get to at least 45# maybe a little more.Is this the correct thing to do??
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Re: Pike ??
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 10:39:09 pm »
Well, it depends on a lot of things but if you took her down to 68", you might get closer to 50 pounds.  Need to know draw length, bow design amongst maybe some others.  I haven't graphed piking changes; just going by the memory of my experiences.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 11:31:21 pm »
Draw length is 28"  The bow was actually cut out by Justin at GI bows,I got it in rough form,,it has a cut in shelf,,I just sanded,stained,and rawhide {deer rawhide} backed it.
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 01:13:28 am »
Better to go slow and not take too much off. A little does alot. Go by half an inch on each limb and make temporary nocks in some way. When you get what you want, do the finishing touches. Most likely 1/2" on each limb would probably get you what you want.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 07:15:37 am »
I most cases they will pick up 2 1/2 to 3 lbs. per. inch removed. :) I would take an inch off each end.That should be about what you want.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 09:58:29 pm »
Got her did,,,,,,,,,,I took 1 inch off each end,filed new knocks,sanded,restung,twisted the string till I got the brace height right, noe I have a 48# bow!!   just what I was lookin for. Thanks for the help!!!   8) 8)

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 02:40:48 pm »
I guess I was wrong about 1/2". Sorry about that rick. Will take your advice from now on pappy about that!
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 02:53:51 pm »
Oh,thats cool,,I read everybodys comment and even talked to my buddy out in California, I say its 48# thats what my homemade luggage scale says,could be off a little but its all I care to pull!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 06:11:09 pm »
  I've cut off lots of bows PAPPY right I uselly get around 2 pounds and inch. You might have to touch up the tillering a bit in most cases.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING