Author Topic: pull over !!  (Read 4900 times)

Offline sonny

pull over !!
« on: July 10, 2007, 06:11:07 pm »
so I'm riding along a local highway last night when I look over in the bed of this F-250 only to see bed-length osage logs stacked to near tailgate high....the only one I could see well enough was nasty, knotty looking as I tried to get the guy's attention to no avail as my exit came up too quickly.
I hate to think he's  gonna burn it this winter....or maybe he builds bows too.......

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

SimonUK

Re: pull over !!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 06:38:30 pm »
I know the feeling! Recently I was walking through a local university campus and saw a pile of logs. Amongst them were some perfect yew logs... cut into 1 foot lengths  :'(

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 01:49:59 pm »
It's one thing to have them turn you down when you ask for a peice or two, it's another to not know what would have happened had you got thte chance too :-\!

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 07:08:58 pm »
I had a guy to follow me home one time.
He wanted to know what that "Bright Yeller Stuff Was"?
I told him it was Osage and that I made bows from it.
He looked at me a bit funny and replied "You mean Headge? You do What with it?  How in tarnation do ye carve it. Dat stuff hard?"

He looked the load over and asked if he could buy one to make a corner post from.
I said no.  And he left still perplexed.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 02:49:36 pm »
Hmm, sounds like sacrilaget o sell some good Osage for a fence post... especially when they didn't know what the "yeller stuff" was in the first place ;).

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 10:49:58 am »
Amazing !!!! aint it? I made a bow for a friend of mine and took it into work to give him, and when people saw it they did not know what osage was. they wanted to know how I stained it that color.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

duffontap

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 04:09:37 pm »
I was driving through Portland last summer and the city was felling a whole row of mature Black Locust trees.  Didn't have time to stop.   :P

J. D. Duff

Offline kiwijim

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 12:21:28 am »
An arborist friend told me how he pulled over a 1km row of 100year old osage. it was bulldozed into piles and burnt! ???
That old shelter belt probably represented over three quarters of all the osage in New zealand :'(