Author Topic: Reflex~Deflex finished and looking good (pics)  (Read 1944 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Reflex~Deflex finished and looking good (pics)
« on: October 03, 2011, 08:47:22 pm »
I'm getting so close to zeroing in on the process I need to produce that Vogel style bow ;)

Finishing this up now.  It's in the "bows for stuff" trade section available for trade.  I did make a goof on the clamping that gave me a reflex limb and a recurve limb ::).  It's 55# at 29" and mostly tillered straight.  It's hard to tell because the flats gave some funny shapes to the drawn bow and the different ends were throwing me a bit as well.

The riser and tip overlays are Pear wood that came from some trees I took down near where I used to work.  I then lugged it across the country to where I now live.  It's wonderful carving wood and lovely for most things.  It turns a deep orange golden bronze sort of color with time. 

As is this bow asks for a set of snake skins, copperhead I think.  I've already started another just like it but minus the clamping error this time  ;).

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Reflex~Deflex finished and looking good (pics)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 09:22:18 pm »
 You don't want that flat section from the fades to the recurves like what you have developing. You need to quit taking wood off where it is coming out of the Fades, you are close to having a hinge there on both limbs. Consentrate more where th curve starts and work back about 6". The whole limb needs to break over Like a wide "V" at full draw.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 01:57:18 am »
That flat section was glued in like that.  Not originaly but in the hot box things shifted around.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 10:23:49 pm »
 I'd try to work it out scraping that middle section to take the pressure off the start of the flat section. I may be wrong but I think you will have problems there at full draw.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 04:54:35 pm »
Well I'm calling myself finished with it.  I'm trading it away for someone that wants to fiddle with it more.

"The easiest way to remove a mistake is not to put it there"~robert McPherson

I have learned from the mistake and have two more copies coming along nicely with out the issues.