Author Topic: Bear down cause I bore down with "Bear Down"  (Read 18788 times)

Offline sonny

Re: Bear down cause I bore down with "Bear Down"
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 08:47:37 pm »
nicely done!

cool paint job on the bow too!
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 09:15:09 pm »
Congrats!  That bear fat wood make some good trading ;)
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 11:21:49 pm »
Thanks again for the comments!  I was pretty skeptical of how much penetration I would get with a 40# bow, too; at this point I feel much better about tackling an elk.  I'm not sure I want to hit a calcified rib in that old herd bull though?  HoBow, bear grease was the deciding factor in getting a tag this year; especially since the zombies are coming.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline coxral

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2011, 01:42:45 am »
Nice bear! Good job!

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2011, 01:43:35 am »
well done brother... great job!
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2011, 02:41:49 am »
That's the way to bear down!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dazv

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2011, 08:35:05 am »
Did your arrow have fletchings on it???

Offline PeteC

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2011, 04:45:35 pm »
Excellent!     Pretty bear and equipment. Congrats on your successful kill. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 01:24:47 am »
Many thanks for the generous commentary!  Two days on, I'm still constantly reliving the moment and the shot, this has been a long time coming.  The arrow that you see in the picture is what broke off when the bear ran, the fletchings were still inside him.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Little John

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2011, 11:35:55 am »
Congrats on a primitive hunt well done, nice bear and bow. Sure is nice when a plan comes together.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2011, 08:07:12 pm »
A bear with a 40 pound bow... Nice to hear a saskatoon bow making meat.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 11:58:01 am »
Excellent.  Way to go.   Great shot and great story.

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 11:31:11 pm »
Hey thanks, now I just have to bear down where deer and elk are concerned.  Didn't hunt tonight, but on my way to Mom's house for supper, I saw (on land I have exclusive permission to hunt) 22 elk (including one very large bull), 6 deer (2 bucks nothing huge), then on the next quarter section (also have to myself at the moment) 4 more deer.  I wish these critters would follow a pattern or something, I have literally hundreds of miles of trail in a section of land, and none of them show habitual usage.  I go days without seeing an animal of any kind.  They must be out tonight because of the falling barometer: snow on the way; the first of the year. Suddenly feeling motivated to get out in the bush tomorrow before dawn...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 12:24:15 am »
The arrow that you see in the picture is what broke off when the bear ran, the fletchings were still inside him.

Stick with my story....bow so fast it strips fletching when it shoots!

Curiosity killed the cat.  Well apparently it ain't so healthy for bears either!  The two highest goals I have for bowhunting are mountain lion and black bear. 

How has he been for eating?

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 01:24:59 pm »
Very cool stuff Zen, congrats on your first being a bear! love the bow by the way-sweet paintjob! 
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis