Author Topic: Reflex/Deflex ~> recurve by accident.  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Reflex/Deflex ~> recurve by accident.
« on: September 29, 2011, 04:11:31 am »
Ha!.  I have made all the rookie mistakes trying to get to a reflex deflex  bow that I have in my head.

First I tried a different design.  Using rubber band clamps on a bow that was intended to be flat but with curved limbs.  The middle arched and made a little gap, which was filled by the glue, under the piece that was the handle bump.  But that made me consider that for my ultimate goal I don't need a fancy form.  That one I intended mostly falt limbs with a gently curved last third to the limbs.  Bow is posted here and shoots awesome.

Tried again twice.  Gappy seams all around my power lam on one.  Other one was coming along fine.  Unfortunately I didn't understand to what extent the rubber band clamps will pull the limbs down to touch the straigh bar form to which I attached my reflex/deflex blocks.  I put it in the hot box and I  had a beautiful gentle curve from the center to the tips.  what I took out was something with flatish limbs and flipped tips.  Must have pulled down over an inch. 

so on the next try I'll only wrap around the whole form in places I need the pull, or where it is supposed to touch.  Places between I'll simply wrap the bow only.  I'll get this right soon.  I'm creeping up on it.  Getting sick of wasting wood.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Reflex/Deflex ~> recurve by accident.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 12:09:48 pm »
before adding any glue to your bow project, always do a dry run first without glue to see if there are going to be gaps.  You can also use a flashlight to check for gaps once you have all your clamps/straps in place.  At the powerlam transitions I like to use C clamps as they give you that extra bit of pressure to give you a good glue line.  Make sure you don't over-tighten your clamps as it will squeeze all the glue out and won't adhere the wood together.  Good luck and hope you get what you want on the next one.  :) :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 10:01:50 pm »
Learned that power lams are not necessary.  I'm not tooled to get those nice seams.  BUT I can cut them on my stave before any other cuts.

Still it's not necessary if you take the fades down into the belly material, which is what the bow I want to replicate does.  My only real concern is that the time and heat tends to distort my bow in the hot box with the extra pressure..  So I need to think around that.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 11:23:38 pm »
Scott, we enjoy pictures of failures as much as successes... hint hint  ;)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 02:09:16 am »
It's coming.  Should be finished up tomorrow mostly.