Author Topic: Making you guys jealous  (Read 1912 times)

Offline triggerfinger

Making you guys jealous
« on: September 27, 2011, 09:16:45 pm »
I'm writing this from my treestand which is awesome on it's own. But while I haven't seen any deer yet I did get to watch some small hawklike bird about the size of a small chicken catch and eat his supper.  Made my day.   And just 9 days til my elk hunt.  To quote pappy,  life is good!
I have nothing witty to say.......

Offline johnston

Re: Making you guys jealous
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 10:32:49 pm »
Bantam hawk maybe?

Lane

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 08:45:56 am »
Cool,thats always a treat when I get to see something like that,don't happen often but when it does it's special.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline lowell

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 07:22:24 pm »
Few years ago I was sitting in a stand and a kestrel/sparrow hawk landed in a tree maybe 30 yards from me.  I watched it and it was wacthing me.  All of a sudden it made an arching flight right at my face and at the last moment I put my hand up and the hawk flew to the side and was gone. 

One sees some cool stuff sitting silently on stand!! 8)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline sonny

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 08:31:05 pm »
I've had it happen at least twice that I know of but you can hear the hawk coming via squirrel barks.
Sitting in one of my favorite stands a few years ago I heard squirrels barking at something and the barks became progressively louder as the hawk got closer. Finally it came swooping in nearly grabbing a squirrel that jumped to the next tree over just in time. Well that brave little @^$% jumped back into the tree that the hawk had landed in and climbed up the tree toward it, seeming to know that the hawk couldn't really do anything. I found that really amusing.   
too bad I didn't have my camera out and set on video, ready to shoot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 11:40:27 am »
It was a pretty cool experience.  I think it knew I was there but didn't see me as any threat.   It was in bow range,  I caught myself wishing it was something to fling an arrow at.
I have nothing witty to say.......