Author Topic: Need your opinion, ...discussion welcome, + glue question + profile  (Read 17040 times)

jamie

Re: Need your opinion, ...discussion welcome, + glue question
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2007, 08:54:36 am »
manny i added some ground up brick to my hide glue as a color base. that bow lost very little cast when the humidity picked up. later on i sort of purposely broke the bow and tried to soak the glue to possibly save the sinew. that stuff wouldnt let go for nothing. dont know why but adding the clay from the brick made it stronger and much more resistent to moisture. peace

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2007, 03:15:27 pm »
Manny, Ive tried both. The knox works better than the titebond......but the titebond will work if you reflex the bow a lot prior to sinewing.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: Need your opinion, ...discussion welcome
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2007, 12:29:07 am »
Manny, next you need to try a Hupa designed bow at 36" long and pulling in the 50# range. Should make the perfect bow for hunting in that dense jungle brush ya got over there.

David T.
                David I was wonderin'. You ever hunt in dense jungle brush ?......bob

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2007, 03:53:06 am »
Ryan, I was planning to reflex/recurve  2 1/12- 3 " if using TB III, what do you think ?

Jamie, good idea I will ad some red lava clay if I go the Knox/hide glue way,..thanks ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Ryano

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2007, 09:41:46 am »
If it were me I'd reflex it more than that if your going to use titebond glue. That would be good for knox. I'd go like 6" with tite bond. 8) ;D of coarse that does make them a bit of pain to tiller :P

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2007, 01:46:48 pm »
wow that much, how much set you expect to get with TB/Sinew, and how much with animal/sinew ??
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Ryano

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2007, 08:42:47 pm »
You will lose at least half with tite bond. You may actualy gain reflex with the knox.

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2007, 10:15:17 pm »
Manny: I had been going thru the same glue debate that you are experiencing right now.

I went with hide glue for two reasons:
1. chemistry- after doing some sinew patch/wraps on some limbs I can see that the hide glue/sinew combination becomes a single entity. The mixture of sinew and hide glue will shrink as a single unit. It is strong as h*#*!
TBIII and sinew just can't do that. The TB is just doing a good job of sticking the sinew to the bow.

2. reading Jay Massey. If that guy could hunt Alaska with a sinew backed bow (hide glue) then there is no reason for me not to use it.  Put on a good finish (I like your spar urethane idea) and go with it.

I'd vote for the short bow to get the most benefit from the sinew.

The way you spit bows out I wouldn't worry about it. You could sinew/hide glue a couple and sinew/TB a few more all by the first of August! ;D

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2007, 05:32:00 am »
Alright, alright,....I'm probably than going with knox gelatine (no hide glue in hawaii ;D) mixed with grinded lava soil.

....but I better not get those edges to lift !!!! ;) ;) ;)

advice needed,...how much reflex should I get it to before sinewing ???
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Ryano

Re: Need your opinion, ...discussion welcome, + glue question + profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2007, 09:23:16 am »
if it were me I would still go 2 1/2-3" ;D

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2007, 05:38:20 am »
Wow Ryan, I'd like to have a finished bow with no more than 1" of reflex, should I still start with that much reflex ??

Went to the store to get Knox tonite,..but I just couldn't buy food to glue a bow, it just felt wrong ;D ;D ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2007, 09:54:05 am »
My mom always told me that some foods would stick to your ribs.  I always thought it meant you wont get hungry as fast.  Now I find out it really does stick to you.  Manny, I think you will be happy with the decision to make your own from pig hide and sinew.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah