Author Topic: Absolute novice looking for help  (Read 2858 times)

Offline chefctonkin

Absolute novice looking for help
« on: September 21, 2011, 12:31:27 am »
I'm looking to learn as much as I can about bow making, my hopeful end result is to make one for myself. I know almost nothing about the topic. I have used a bow a few times and am a really good aim but haven't shot in a while and I guess that’s what piqued my interest in making one of my own. Would really appreciate any and all help. Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Absolute novice looking for help
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 12:47:50 am »
Welcome to PA. I think I would first suggest you read as much on this site as you can. There are quite a few years worth of wood bow building information from some of the best wood bowyers in the world. If you have any questions, ask away. The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask.
  George Tsoukalas has a great website with all aspects of building your own wood bow and other stuff you might need.  There is a link to George's site at the top of "Bows" or the "How To" thread, I can't remember which.
  So, read a little, ask a lot and before you know it you will be shooting a bow you made yourself.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 12:53:53 am »
where are you located?  Many of us are willing to share our tools and experiences.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Freebirth

• My Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 01:20:14 am »
I'm pretty much a beginner, working on my first bow as well, so we're kind of in the same boat.

First question I think you have to ask yourself, what kind of wood and tools do you have access to? You can build bows from board lumber or split logs with a few tools.
Southern Ohio

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 01:36:25 am »
Welcome to the website!  You've taken the first step.  Before long, you'll be bit with the same bug the rest of us are scratchin'.  Feel free to ask any questions that you have.  You will be certain to get a bunch of help!  We love it here!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 03:33:36 am »
WELCOME!! ;D Nice to have you! Good advise so far, I would agree look around the site for a while and use the search funtion to get as much info as you can, read, read and read some more! Then when you have a basic understanding of how the wood is selected be it a board or stave you can go from there once its dry building it. I would probably start out with a board as it is easily accesed and is already dry. If you have questions as you go by all means ask we love to help! I also agree there might be some guys on here who live near you that could give you a major jump start if you have the chance to work with them.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

TurtleCreek

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 04:41:13 am »
  You're definitely in the right spot.  Great site and awesome people always willing to give advice.  If you're looking for books: Paul Comstock's "The Bent Stick" and of course "The Traditional Bowyers Bible Series"  volumes 1,2,3, and 4 have been great resources for myself as I am still fairly new to this also.  Once you start, you'll be hooked.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 10:38:17 am »
A few things I learned while starting out:

1) Keep it simple. Don't spend lots of time trying advanced techniques until you get the basics down. You'll end up spending a lot of time on a bow that will probably break.

2) Don't get too attached. Chances are the first couple attempts will end in fracture, so don't be afraid to break a few. I made 5 unsuccessful attempts before I made a working bow. Just because they break doesn't mean that the process was a failure. I've learned much more from bows that I broke than from bows that worked.

3) Careful with the power tools. If you choose to use power tools, take it easy, they remove material very quickly. Use them only in the earlier stages, and never for tillering.

Offline chefctonkin

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 11:35:55 pm »
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm going to do alot of reserch as suggested and I'm sure ill be asking alot of questions. For JW_Halverson Im located in Palmdale, California about an hour north of Los Angeles. so if you know of anyone who is willing to lend tools and share advice let me know. Thanks again

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 11:37:01 pm »
Welcome to PA
we are here to serve (we love sharing our two cents )
Keep it simple keep it fun
Just a stick and a string
 Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 11:22:16 am »
If you can get to pasedena quite easily id suggest taking a trip down there. Once a month a group of fellow primitive enthusiasts get together to have some bowyering fellowship. There's some pretty dang good guys that attend those meetings. And they'll help and teach you a lot. They post when they're having there meetings over on the archery primitive bows forum on paleoplanet.

Here's a link to the last one that just happened on the 18th,but its every third Sunday of each month. There's also a map link for directions

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/46688/Pasadena-Bowyers-Meet-Sunday-Septmember-18th#.Tnsu-2fEbj4

I wish and envy those who are able to make these meetings.

Offline foolishman

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 11:12:10 pm »
I have just finished my first bow and the best bit of advice I can give you is get a stanely sure form rasp.  They are amazing creatures if you are working are making a board bow.