Author Topic: Spall to biface to what next  (Read 1034 times)

Offline GooseGossett

Spall to biface to what next
« on: September 20, 2011, 11:58:52 pm »
So I've got to this point a couple of times and then I tend to end up with a oval with notches.  I'm wanting more triangle or ishi style.  I'm talented at crunching my way and tips breaking off making them shorter and stockier.  Y'all have any tips to keeping the tip intact while scrunching and getting the profile down?

1 John 3:18 "Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth. "

Offline Bone pile

Re: Spall to biface to what next
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 09:01:23 am »
You might want to take a pencil and draw the point your looking to make.Leave the tip alone it looks good ,after you bring the sides in more you can touch it up with pressure.Set up some platforms on the sides and bring them in ,the base can be worked a few different ways depending on what kind of notches you want. You'll get it ,takes time and rock
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 11:41:37 am »
That's a pretty peice of rock - go easy :). I'll usually roughly abrade the shape i want at that point. Abrade down, flake, flake, flake, turn over repeat kinda fine tuning as i get closer. Never have used one of those edge crunching tools, just my abrader.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 02:28:45 pm »
I did try spalling/crunching once or twice but found much better results with abrasion after each round of flakes until I got the shapes I wanted.