Author Topic: Elm kids bow  (Read 11388 times)

Offline FlintWalker

Elm kids bow
« on: July 06, 2007, 10:39:35 am »
A while back I stopped at a friends house to show him my first self bow and his 12 year old thought it was the coolest thing he ever saw.  He stood out in the back yard and shot that thing till his fingers nearly had blisters on 'em. I thought I was gonna have to leave it with him, he just didn't want to put it down. He has a compound but told me himself that he liked shooting my longbow better so....I got me an idea ;D. I just happen to have this narrow piece of elm laying around that I had sawn off the side of a larger stave that was just big enough for a kids bow. I never used elm before so I thought I would use this as sort of a test also, just to see how well it would work.
 It's 51" ntn, 1-3/8 wide at the fades tapering down to 3/8 at the tips and draws 30# @ 24". I stained it with mahogany stain and finished it with satin polyurethane. I barely reflexed the tips on the this one as well as heat treated the belly, baked elm smells just like popcorn! Overall, i'm very impressed with this wood, i've drawn it out to 26" several times and shot it at least 100 times drawn to around 25" with very little set (less than 1").
  I can't wait to give it to him. He's a good, very respectful kid that I know will like it.  I'll try to get some pictures of him shooting it as soon as he gets back from vacation.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline tom sawyer

Re: Elm kids bow
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 10:50:04 am »
Its cool that you're recruiting youth into the sport, congrats on putting a great bow in the hands of someone who will appreciate it.  I love those tips, would you tell us more about those?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 11:10:46 am »
Thats a beauty Shannon. I'm sure your little buddy will love it and shoot the heck out of it.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 11:17:00 am »
Great looking bow, and a nice gesture on your part, too. Way to go, Jake should love it.
BTW, those tips are cool. Is that acrylic paint?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 11:19:36 am by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 11:25:38 am »
I just freehanded that pattern with a sharpie before spraying on the poly. I actually borrowed the idea from Cowboys deer hide backed white oak bow. You can't see them , but it has deer tracks going up the top limb and turkey tracks on the lower. Just something to decorate it up a little.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 11:38:01 am »
Mighty fine looking bow,I love the tips and the grip.Tiller looks nice also.Good job.Bet it will fling an arrow. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 11:40:09 am »
Thats a great looking bow, looks like it will perform well also. he should love it. Steve

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 12:14:07 pm »

very nice bow and a nice story to it! - well made kid's bows always seem to have something really special to them...

frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 12:37:34 pm »
Again, very nice bow. like the tips
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

DCM

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 03:11:43 pm »
Real fine job.  I love elm, and those little bows sometimes it seems outshoot the bigger one's at 10 grains per pound.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 03:14:12 pm »
Very nice bow Shannon.
You have got a good talent for bow making.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 04:45:27 pm »
Now THAT is a bow that'll get kids into primitive archery ;D!

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 12:54:42 am »
Well, I gave it to him today. As you can tell by the pictures, he just hated it ;D!!
  When him and his dad came over, he ask if I had made another one. I told him yes, that I had made me a little one.  He commented on how much he loved the deer and turkey tracks on it. When he noticed his name on it, you'd have thought it was Christmas.
 I told him all about letting people pull it back too far and about not leaving it strung all the time. He said he was gonna keep it in his gun safe so nothing would happen to it.
 As you can see, it didn't take him long to figure out how to hit that leaf.
  He's a good boy and I know he'll take care of it better than I do my own.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 12:59:14 am »
Excellent Shannon. Ain't it great to give a kid a bow! ;) I've made some good friends doing the same. ;D 
    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jbell

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 01:08:29 am »
 ;DYou are definately putting a smile on my face. That is one good lookin bow, awesome generosity also, great job.
Justin Blunt