Author Topic: Brace height question  (Read 6032 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Brace height question
« on: September 19, 2011, 02:42:25 am »
Ha!  I made a bow that didn't break, that I like, and that is over 50#! 

Should my brace height be deeper than my fletching?  I'm at 5.5" and the tips of my fletching rest on the side of the bow.  Is that normal?  It shoots off the hand.

70" R/D with a handle bump.  53# at 29-30".  I'm thinking 2 more twists of the string will put me at 54# at 28.  Pics coming.

Offline dmc

Re: Brace height question
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 03:34:00 am »
The brace height on my board bows are all 6-6.5 inches, and my fletching touches my bow as well, with no shooting problems.
Looking forward to seeing your pic's.
Carpe Diem- Seize the Day!!

Offline RyanY

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 03:47:37 am »
Changing brace height doesn't affect draw weight. Brace height depends a lot on personal preference. I usually like a 6" brace height.

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 04:02:52 am »
One tip is to keep the bracing height as low as you can and still get clean arrow flight. A higher bracing height will give you slower arrows and increase strain on the bow.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 08:47:55 am »
Mine are usually 51/2 to 6  that seems to works for me.  :) I usually use 4 inch feathers and start fletching them a little futher back on the arrow so it don't set against the bow. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Scowler

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 10:09:17 am »
What mikekeswick said.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 02:38:03 pm »
Howdy,  I tend toward low brace heights.  See other's comments on keeping the brace height as low as is consistent with clean arrow flight.  I feel that strains the bow a little less and theoretically is slightly more efficient.  As a result my fletches almost always touch the bow, but I don't notice a problem.   ( That may be different if I hunted and was worried about noise during the draw.)      Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 10:51:11 pm »
I like to begin adjusting brace height at fletch clearing distance. Typically, my brace height is 7-7.5 inches as measured from  string to back of handle. This may help you tune up.
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/selfbowcare.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 10:55:32 am »
   My bows use'lly have a little clearence of the feathers. Each bow is a little difference. You have to show it to find that sweet spot.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 02:12:19 pm »
Has anyone ever noticed any performace problems if the fletchings touch the bow at brace height? The bow I recently made has a brace height a little over 5 inches and the fletchings on my arrows do touch my sight window a bit, but i'm still fairly new to shooting instinctive and can't really tell if that is throwing me off or not.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 02:54:32 pm »
I have few that sit on the grip, no biggy.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 05:32:44 pm »
Well that's good to know, because I am very happy with how everything turned out and I would be reluctant to start making changes to it now.

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 05:37:54 pm »
A fistmele works well for me, and it's easy to measure (mine's around 6 1/2").  It clears my fletchings, and if my brace height gets much lower, my wrist starts getting slapped.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 11:30:51 pm »
I prefer to keep my BH as low as I can and still keep the bow quiet.Mine usually end up at 5 1/2",and the front of my fletching lays on the handle as you described yours.It does'nt hurt a thing.I think it is easier on self-bows with a low BH ,with less strain . JMHO God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 12:30:39 pm »
I'm trying to get pics up but PhotoBucket isn't letting me in today.