Author Topic: Central / South American Bow Woods  (Read 3676 times)

Offline Arrowind

Central / South American Bow Woods
« on: September 18, 2011, 05:53:28 pm »
I have a friend from El Salvador and am planning to make him a bow.  I'd like to use a wood from that area if possible but I would be satisfied with any good bow wood from Central or South America. 

Ipe comes to mind immediatley as well as LEMONWOOD (Degame).  I'm not sure if either are native to El Salvador and again I'm not making that a drop dead requirement.  I gave up on Lemonwood a long time ago.  It seems to be hard to find and very expensive....  I've never worked with either of the woods mentioned though Ipe is on my list of woods to try. 

I'd just like to get some ideas of what else is out there....

Does anyone have suggestions?     
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Arrowind

Re: Central / South American Bow Woods
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 01:11:10 am »
Ha ha....Well I did a little research and as it turns out  Tabebuia rosea is the national tree of El Salvador.
Tabebuia is a neotropical genus of about 100 species and a well known common name just happens to be "Ipe".  So the national tree of El Salvador is actually a type of Ipe.   Amazing what you can find on the internet.    :D

Ipe it is.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 04:37:21 am »
What a stroke of luck! What do you plan on backing I with, if at all???
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 10:22:40 am »
You could back the Ipe with Hickory. Not only is that a great wood combination, but it would be symbolic of South meets North America.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 11:13:37 am »
I would ask him to send me some Ipe to make a bow with.  >:D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 03:16:21 am »
Soy -  Yeah when I learned their national tree is Ipe it was a lot like this  -> ??? :o ;D   If I back it I'm going to use Hickory.

Matt S. -  Funny you mention that.  It's exactly what I was thinking.  He lives in America and he told me the other day that it took him and his family 9 years and several thousand miles to get to America.  They went through quite a lot.  They left El Salvador and would travel to the next country he would find work then when they had enough money they would travel some more.  Not to mention the long road to citizenship.  It's quite an amazing story. 

I could tell him that the Ipe of El Salvador is the heart / soul of the bow and the hickory makes a strong back just like his journey to America made him stronger... And the bow is like he is a blend of the two forged together to make it stronger or something cheesy like that to make it meaningful. 

Justin - I wish I could have him send me some Ipe but he lives right around the corner.  (Here in Arizona) I'll have to settle for making a trip to the hardwood lumber store...  I know they have Ipe....I'm sure I won't end up with the exact kind but it will be close enough.