Author Topic: Should I straighten it out?  (Read 4695 times)

Offline Bryce H

Should I straighten it out?
« on: September 18, 2011, 02:19:38 pm »

The bow has some natural curves in it, and they're beneficial even, as I'm making my first attempt at a 5 curve bow. As this will be only my third bow, would it be more help to bring it back to straight and tiller it that way first? I'm worried about my ability to tiller it as-is and then put the curves in it. So, given my inexperience, what do you guys think?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Should I straighten it out?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 02:29:36 pm »
I would attempt to straighten out the limbs first then reshape it to the shape you want. The backset in the handle I would leave as is though.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bryce H

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 02:35:04 pm »
Thanks, Pat...that's kind of what I was thinking. I don't wanna mess this bow up. I've only made a couple, as I said, but this is the first one I've taken "from tree to bow"...

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 02:49:47 pm »
As it's fairly symetrical I'd say it's up to you, bend before or after getting it to about 75% tillered.
It's all about learning new techniques and getting experience. Don't go mad with the bends, and you''ll be fine.
My biggest bending mistake is to not allow sufficient time for the wood to settle back down, so be warned, leave it at least a couple of days, 3 to be really 100% safe. Some wood just likes to go back where it started, other staves just do whatever you ask of 'em.
Have fun
Del
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:09:28 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Bryce H

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 08:52:13 am »
Thanks, Del!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 09:06:25 am »
I would probably starightening it,Make sure you have it floot tillered before you try and bend it,it will bend easier and stay put much better,also Dell had some good advice on giving it a few days and Pat on the handle. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 11:41:46 am »
What kind of wood is it?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 06:11:58 pm »
What is a 5 curve bow? That's a new one on me. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline JonW

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 07:28:52 pm »
Jawge it is a bow with a "B" shaped side profile.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 10:47:31 pm »
LOL, Jon. I've never heard of a B shaped bow either. But thank you for trying. Are we talking a gull wing bow like the Plains Tribes made? Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline randman

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 06:52:44 am »
Gullwing or B shaped bow would be a 3 curve. Think gullwing with slightly recurved tips and you get a 5 curve. Least that's how I understand it.
Thin the handle area a little so you can bend a little more reflex in the handle untill the tips are out in front of the grip and leave the limbs the way they are and you'd have a perfect shaped gullwing (without adding the extra 2 curves). JMHO
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Bryce H

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 08:16:47 am »
Sorry guys, the computer wasn't workin' yesterday, so I couldn't respond.

Mikekeswick- it's a hackberry

Randman and George- It is a gullwing, like the plains, or that's what I'm going for. My error, I assumed the gullwing and 5 curve were the same animal. I am also way relatively new to makin' bows and am wrong alot. Sorry bout that. 

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 08:40:20 am »
Ah ok, no problem, Bryce. In the final analysis we are all new to bow making. I will admit I never heard of those types of bows referred to as 3 curve and 5 curve. Seems that new terminology is being invented as we speak which can be confusing. I've never done a gull wing bow. Do you have the Traditional Bowyer's Bibles? One of the volumes describes some very interesting ways to do some bending. Let me know. I'm going hunting for a bit now. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline Bryce H

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 08:50:30 am »
I only have one of them, so far, George. The third one- the one regarding plains Indian bows, which is why I wanted to start making them. I have no doubt I'll branch out into other designs though later on. I also have a few more books on it, too. I've made a couple...broken a couple too. LOL

I wish I was out hunting! The goal was to have this ready for this season, but I've been working way too much to allow me to actually find time to work on it (this is goin on its second month now). Good luck on the hunt, buddy!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 10:31:00 am »
  Might flip the tips. I don't use heat on working parts of limbs.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING