Author Topic: will this work???  (Read 3199 times)

Offline soy

• pm106221
will this work???
« on: September 15, 2011, 01:25:40 am »
Hi all I was working in some knocks on an ironwood bow when my file broke... I want to try knaping and have no clue, and no tools..will this work for pressure flaking or will it be to brittle  ???
Thanks for any input.
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline mspink

Re: will this work???
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 02:46:20 am »
I would think that a file would be too hard of a metal. It should work to an extent but you will not be able to get the heads sharp very easily with it. What I use is a nail in the end of a two foot long piece of wood about the circumference of a broom handle. I file the head off and to a slight point. And sharpen the end of the wood to make it look like a big pencil with the nail being the (pencil lead) so to speak. The nail seems to work well because it is a softer metal. I need to try copper. Hope this helps.
Aim small miss small!

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 03:00:22 am »
How thick dose the copper need to be? I have ground wire from an old power pole might that work better than the file?

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 03:06:14 am »
Yes grounding wire works great.  I use an old broom stick.  Follow mspink's post. Leave no more than 1 1/2" sticking out.  Some twist it off in a vise/drill to harden the copper.  Scan past posts for similar info.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 03:15:04 am »
That is exiting, can't wait to get home!!!! I've got an old tv sitting outside who is about to meet its maker >:D any tips?

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 05:39:44 am »
Ok got home and made what I think was described,  twisted the copper made a point on the tip, and made it look kinda like a pencil. Let me know if I am in the ball park :D I ran a broadhead into a pizza box with a tv behind it and wound up with a broken arrow, bent broadhead,and a laughing tv with a chip in it.....man that little tv is tough....gonna waite tell tomorrow and bring out the heavy artillery  >:D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 05:43:29 am by soy »

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 10:08:12 am »
Soy , ground wire works fine for pressure flaking , I usually leave no more than 1-1//4 out the front.  I have some tv screen that is nearly 3/4" thick so get some heavy artillery for breaking it, I would use caution with  the dust that is on the back of screen, I here its not to good for ya. I would say the file is to hard an brittle for pressure flaking. Good luck with your tv an post the results. ;D ;D Bob

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 12:53:56 pm »
I started flaking with the pointed end of a file and found that it slipped off to easy.  The copper acts like deer antler.  See what happens is that the copper starts to form to the surface of the flint and hold it as the flake is removed.  The antler does the same thing but the copper wears better.  I use horseshoe nails to do finishing work like final flakes and notching. One might think harder is better but with knapping is is just not true.  Copper and anter is the path you should follow.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 01:01:08 pm »
I forgot to add that there are some very talented people on PA that use hammer stones. I use them the sprawl out large rocks.  Here is a pictuer of my tool kit.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 01:49:55 pm »
You might be able to stick that file in a bed of hot coals and leave overnight to soften it up.  I've only used copper, so I'm not sure if it'll work worth a crap though.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 01:53:46 pm »
Yep, i'd go with the copper. That's funny about the tv - how about a hammer? And i would be upwind while your working on it.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

JustinNC

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 02:29:26 pm »
Yep, i'd go with the copper. That's funny about the tv - how about a hammer? And i would be upwind while your working on it.

I never realized TV's had a good nose. I'll remember that time Im stalking through the living room and setting up in my favorite stand I call the small couch.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 09:33:39 pm »
Thanks guys ;)

Iowabow nice set o tools, looks like im going to have to find some more

JustinNc the thing about tv hunting is you can't let them know they are being hunted you are doing it correctly ....hang in there and you will have a shot....aim small miss small  ;D

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 06:01:26 am »
VICTORY!!!!!! I have emerged from battle with the tv victorious .......now what I have a piece I have chosen to be my first attempt at knipping, I took my new tool in my right hand and my newly fashioned piece of glass clad in leather in my left, I put the tool to the glass with anticipation and a grin and.....nothing :-\  I try agan and this time a copper streak...closer...one moor time and BAM a chip!!! But sadly I know not how it was made because I can not duplicate what I have done.where can I find an answer? How do I move on? Some one help me put an end to this madness.....please

If I make any progress I will at that time post pics

Thanks for looking /helping.    Soy

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 11:35:24 am »
Check out allergichobbit on Youtube.  I can't get it, due to dial-up connection, but I saw a little and hear it's great help.  You gotta take it slow.  don't try to take off more than a 1/16" bite or so.  I think a lot of guys would be using a purcussion tool @ the start, a golf ball sized rock, sorta rounded.  Get a pad for your seated thigh bone and support your glass against your leg w/ your left hand, protect your left hand too.  The glass will break @ a 100 deg. angle from a 130 deg. blow.  ;D how's that for confusing?  Get you some superglue, duct/electrical tape and some bandaids out there too.  ;)  Check out the Youtube vids if possible, I think that will give you a good idea of what you're after.  Good luck....and watch out that you don't get addicted.  >:D
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)