Author Topic: Kayak hunting!  (Read 1975 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Kayak hunting!
« on: September 08, 2011, 03:32:04 am »
OK, I read the article on the home page.  I've been a kayak user for some years now and alwayse wondered about hunting from the kayak.  Not just paddling to a destination but shooting from the yak.

I've noticed that I catch more fish and get closer to more game that I EVER did in a power boat.  My kayak is bright blue.  . . they just don't care.  Geese, Ducks, Turkeys,  herons, deer, beavers, bears and snakes.  I've gotten reach out and smack them with the paddle close.  I thought the bear was a beaver.  Turns out only their head sticks out of the water when they swim.

I never considered shooting fowl from the kayak.  I've been thinking of building a short bow for shooting carp from the yak but I never considered waterfowl.  Turns out it's legal in my state to shoot game from a "vehicle".  Not certain I think that is  a good idea BUT in this case it's awesome!

SO, how to cook goose?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Kayak hunting!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 09:40:47 am »
 There is a bunch of good recipes for goose on Tradgang.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 12:33:40 pm »
slice the brest up and make a small buterfly put a small piece of your favorite cheese and small slice of jalapeno on the inside of the butter fly close it up wrape in bacon, do many put them on skewers with vegies and make kabobs.  my favorit way to do dove duck geese quail it is delicious.  how and put what ever seasoning you want on it salt and pepper does great.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 02:36:56 am »
Ha! Sounds great. 

I haven't gotten my liscense yet.  This morning there were three morning doves outside my shop/garage.  Season for Doves isn't open yet I think.  when it is and I have a liscense they will be gone I'm sure.

so what about kayak bows?

Also  I live in Iowa and have been looking.  I don't see anything written at all about taking migratory birds, phesant and quail with stick and string.  I'm guessing it's ok.  Deer and turky have special sections where it's discussed.  Tried to go by the rangers office but it's closed.  I think it's ok to shoot from a a boat also.

I need to make an arrow that floats!  I thought about filling the back section with that expansion foam stuff.

Offline zdogk9

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 08:13:44 pm »
I'm pretty sure none of the arctic people used bows from their kayaks. For water fowl they'd use a bird dart thrown with the same norsaq they'd use for tossing their harpoons. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Eskimo_Life_bird-dart.png