Author Topic: Electric sander for tillering?  (Read 13904 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Electric sander for tillering?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 06:35:21 am »
You ant a snob JD,to each there on.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline lowell

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 10:14:02 am »
I've got to agree with JD.

I like the sounds I get from a rasp and scraper SOOO much better than the noise from a sander!!! ;)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2007, 12:26:26 pm »
I do a lot of ipe and have turned mainly to my rasp and scraper, scrapers work well on ipe. I would highly recomend to anyone making bows to take the time to get comfortable with hand tools, it is a much more pleasurabe experience and not much difference in time. I often roughout stav's on a band saw but more and more find myself just using a drawknife and getting the excersize, Steve

duffontap

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2007, 01:13:29 pm »
Had a guy attend one of our bowyer meetings last year. He made a lot of noise about how he could take a a piece of vine maple from rough dimensions to final tiller in about 15 minutes. When all was ready he gathered the group around the belt sander and proceeded to grind away. In 15 minutes he produced a 20 lbs bow with a bad hinge. He quietly slipped out shortly after and we never heard from him again.

That's hilarious Gordon!  I wish I could have seen that.

J. D.

Offline backgardenbowyer

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2007, 08:19:01 pm »
Thanks for the advice about ipe - I didn't like the dust at all, and to my surprised it chysalled, possibly 'cos the wood got wet when I was testing it.  The next bow I made, and the one I shoot now, is an elb hickory back, balau core and lemonwood belly, black horn nocks.  Tillered that the old fashioned way with a scraper and patience, but lemon wood is lovely stuff to work with.  The balau seems less noxious than ipe though it may not be quite as good.  The elm bow done with the sander in only for a bit of fun in the new NFAS primitive class, and I admit to using a file and sandpaper for the fine tuning.  I don't think I'd risk a sander tillering expensive timber.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 02:36:22 am »
On the ipe,  good scrapers will keep the dust down, and your lungs healthier,and about all I use when tillering. I do have some larger ones which is use in a pushing motion when I need to remove a lot of wood without using power tools. I normally use the bench sander to get straight bows  to the point where they flex a bit, but the real magic is like everyone here mentioned, by hand ;D

Gordon, that is too funny!

Rich