Author Topic: Hickory blisters?  (Read 1603 times)

Offline GaryR

Hickory blisters?
« on: September 06, 2011, 11:30:25 pm »
I peeled the bark off my hickory and found there is plenty of knot free wood to make a bow out of. I started drawing it out and noticed what looks like blisters or warts on the wood. What is it, and more importantly will it effect my bow?
Gary

Offline riverrat_67

Re: Hickory blisters?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 11:37:28 pm »
Two thoughts, I've worked a few hickory bow's and haven't see anything quite like that.   Since it is close to the side of the stave I'd look at it from the side.  If the growth rings follow the blister I'd treat it like a knot, else i would chase the wood down to a growth ring without the blister.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 01:08:09 am »
The first hickory I cut had something like that, although it looked more clean. They were from knots from branches that had fallen off and healed over and looked like large bumps after the bark was popped off. Worked around them though.

Offline swtchbckshtr

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 08:37:06 am »
those bottom pics kinda look like the nests of a mud diver. could it be bug damage.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 10:26:15 am »
  Those spots are roten spots if not to deep they can be worked down. But EVEN WHEN GONE THAT SPOT CAN BE AFFECTED.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline GaryR

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 11:03:33 am »
Crooketarrow, does that mean that limb will be weak and prone the crack or break?
Gary

Offline dwardo

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 08:43:23 am »
I would be worried about having that in the working part of a bow limb :( Almost looks like a Burl/Burr starting to form. The grain also seems to be all over the shop at that point.  :(

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 10:24:48 am »
   Could be. I have and unlimited surply of HICKORY trees so I never use those staves. But have se en bows from others that have worked down passed the bad spot.
 I'm sure the  bad area go's down some but who knows how far. WOOD IS WOOD
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING