Author Topic: rookie hornbow question  (Read 5511 times)

Offline 4nolz

rookie hornbow question
« on: September 05, 2011, 09:22:35 pm »
I've made some selfbows (probably <50) and 1 other sinew backed horn bow that was flatbow style.THIS is my first try at a true horn bow-I pegged and wrapped a handle on and have a ?stupid? question.Do I  HAVE to sinew back it? it is 41" end to end and when flexed feels pretty heavy already.

Offline gstoneberg

Re: rookie hornbow question
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 10:03:27 pm »
Do you have a wood core, or just horn?  If wood, I don't believe your bow back will survive full draw at that short a length without sinew.  Not sure what it'll do if just horn?

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 11:00:59 pm »
If you check out "youtube Korean horn bow" there is a 3 part build-along that seems very informational. Don't know if it is in english since my speakers went out a couple of months back. Hope this helps.
Eric
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline 4nolz

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 11:16:01 pm »
it is just horn,no wood.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 11:21:39 pm »
 Most all horn bows I've seen were sinew backed. You need James Parker to weigh in on this. Is that bow pulled in to reflex Belly up?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline 4nolz

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 11:31:08 pm »
I checked out the youtube its a wood core build.

the picture is highly reflexed,back up.(the back of the horn is the belly of the bow)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 12:22:18 am »
What is the wrap you have around the horn at midlimb?  Why is it wrapped?  If you chose to build it without a wood core then normally, you would add sinew to the back of the bow.  I might be of more help after you describe the wraps at midlimb.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline 4nolz

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 01:23:43 am »
I wrapped the handle and tip and just thought it looked like it was going to need it! It is not over a splice-should I remove it? I am in no hurry now (got my fall bows done) just not sure if I have to sinew it. If I need to sinew it I can but thought it might add alot of weight.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 04:52:01 am »
OK.   I'm not an expert yet, but I have built a couple (well three) horn bows and read as much as I can find. Nearly all horn bows are sinew backed.   Horn is brittle, but very strong in compression.   The sinew holds everything together. 
It looks like you are making a plains style horn bow.  Why did you reflex the limbs so strongly?   My belief is that most of the reflex in a horn bow comes from the drying sinew.   As an aside strongly reflexed bows feel very!!! strong during the initial bracing but once stung seem much tamer.   Your bow may indeed be heavy already, but unless you've had experience with reflexed bows you may be surprised by a much lower than expected draw weight.   
Adam Karpowicz has written an excellent book on building Turkish horn bows.   The information in his book is often helpful in building other styles of horn bows, so you might want to look it up.  As a for instance, he has a section on "balancing" and "opening" the bow as  you get it ready to be strung for the first time.  He also relates an anecdote of a persian prince that died when a horn bow exploded and sent a limb tip into his brain.   Short bows are under a tremendous strain!
The ATARN website has additional info on many Asiatic bows.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 10:14:36 am »
   Sinew it
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 12:47:16 pm »
Yes , it must be sinewed to stay together.
I 2nd the advice to get Adam's book - it is absolutely invaluable if you want to make hornbows.

Offline 4nolz

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 01:16:51 pm »
THANKS!
I will sinew it-does James Parker also have a book?

Offline 4nolz

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 01:17:38 pm »
 :-[ :-[  I guess I reflexed it so much because I didnt know better.... :-[

Offline 4nolz

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 01:38:24 pm »
I will remove the midlimb wrap first.

thanks for the help

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 12:36:41 am »
4Nolz,, I'm not sure what the wraps that you have on your bow are, but you will need to remove the one on the handle area also, when applying the sinew , you will want to  also cover the handle too, through the handle fades onto the limbs.. sinew will have to be applied to your bow,since it looks like you have worked the horn down to limb size diamensions,, without sinew  i think the bow will fail, if it doesent fail, it would only be  a low # and low cast bow..  I'm not trying to down play all your work on the bow,, just trying to help  out,,, as said before,, if one is wanting to build horn composite, Adams book is a must have,, only thing better is have a personal trainer to help and guide you through the process,,, most with the knowledge are not willing to invest  the long training time on any student,, or give out their secrets, believe me i know.. get Adams book ,, learn from it and the mistakes and and successes you will have as you become familiar with building horn bows,,,  i started building horn composite back in the early 80's,, back then   i read and tried everything i came across, there are some books and writings out there,, i have most of them,, Adams book is the  horn bow bible..  it will save you a lot of time, money and most of all grief...... best,,,, James parker
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 12:40:56 am by robustus »