Author Topic: Getting them hooked early! with pics!  (Read 1913 times)

Offline nathan elliot

Getting them hooked early! with pics!
« on: September 03, 2011, 09:03:36 am »
This summer my sister came to stay with her two young sons. Before she came she explained that they can be a bit "full on" as she put it. I was very exited as I have only ever visited them in their home, this was a chance for me to show them stuff we had only ever talked about before. I thought  it would be nice if I made them both a bow and set of arrows to take home. So I made them two small IPE bows, backed with linen and TB3. I fired the little bamboo arrows I made for them to see how they shot, wow! These little bows spat arrows out like lightning. I must admit at this point I did wonder at the wisdom of giving them such capable weapons, but hey you gotta learn right.

They were really pleased, my sister perhaps less so. We did have one incident were one lad didn't wait till the other was behind the shooting line, I promptly removed both bows and explained again how important this rule was. After a few tears and a no bows for a morning, they got the idea. You gotta learn right! What impressed me most was how quickly they became good shots. I explained about form and shooting techniques, they lapped it up. Practicing till their fingers hurt, even with a tab. I mixed the whole thing up by showing them how to straighten bamboo shafts and turn them into arrows. A month on and my sister tells me they are still shooting, apparently they wont let any of their friends pull their bows unless they have their draw length measured, seems they really did listen!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Getting them hooked early! with pics!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 09:35:15 am »
Nicely done, Uncle. That is great to see. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 10:00:27 am »
Sweeeeeeet. That last pic is awesome

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 10:31:43 am »
Great! Kids really respond to some quality attention and discipline.
Great story, great pics. I'm off to a local fete tomorrow where we do a 'have a go'. It never ceases to amaze me how some people take to it like a duck to water, and you can't tell who it will be. A scrawny little girl might be a natural and some hulking great bloke might shoot like a wus.
Del
(There is no truth in the rumour that it's just the prettiest girls that I coach O:))
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Dazv

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 11:22:36 am »
Nice job i bet they were so pleased with there bows.

Offline lowell

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 11:23:48 am »
Very cool!!!!  I've been having fun the same way with my grandson. 

Your nephews seem to be getting along good with tabs.  Another easy solution to sore fingers is No Glove type of finger pad that slides on the string!! 8)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline half eye

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 11:44:23 am »
YES SIR !!!!! ya know your gonna be the "uncle they dont forget", right? Good on you
rich

Offline swtchbckshtr

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 12:21:10 pm »
ha, ha, there ya go, start em young. like the last pic, good one

Offline dwardo

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 03:17:21 pm »
Cant wait till my boy is big enough to draw a bow. Great pictures.