Author Topic: New Vids - Beginner 4 Part Series - Stone Hunting Point  (Read 5664 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: New Vids - Beginner 4 Part Series - Stone Hunting Point
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 04:27:19 pm »
Patrick, I watched the videos and in the middle of #3 I stopped it and went out and did some chipping myself.  Turned 2 spalls into gravel in short order.  Came in before I did any more damage and finished watching those last 2.  I guess I'll have to watch a few more times. ???  Knapping might be the most challenging hobby I've ever tried.  One of the most fun too. ;D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 05:42:34 pm »
  Knapping might be the most challenging hobby I've ever tried.  One of the most fun too. ;D

George
[/quote]

I can agree with that.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline andy thomas

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 06:29:56 pm »
great video. you explained it so us idiots might be able to figure it out lol. thanks alot

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 07:09:59 pm »
George,

Yeah, it's challenging, that's for sure.

It's hard looking back (because I don't want to remember) but I had entire weeks where I could do nothing but break everything in half.  Sometimes it was at the beginning and sometimes it was just when I thought I was done.  When I was the most frustrated I would give up and make bone arrowheads instead.

Soon I would miss the stone and go back to knapping.  I'm not so sure I was missing the stone...I guess the best way to describe it is that I didn't want the stone to "defeat" me.  How can other guys make an arrowhead in 10 minutes on youtube and I couldn't do it in 10 hours???

The turning point came when two things happened:

1- I found the technique and materials that "worked".  I kept the tools, stones, and methods that worked well (for me) and put all the other stuff aside.  Eventually I got rid of all the "bad" stuff and de-brainwashed myself.

2- I stopped thinking too much and started letting my hands and eyes take over.  My brain gets irritated, frustrated, moody, ticked off, and just downright stupid.  My hands and eyes just get tired after a while.  That's it.

Oh yeah, I guess I should also put in a third thing:

3- I make sure that I take a knapp-nap before I go out back. ;D

Edit:   Bad habits will creep in when you're not thinking.  I guess I do make a strong mental effort to NOT do certain things...like hitting too hard when thinnng the base or tip.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 08:41:01 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 09:30:49 pm »
Thanks Patrick.  One of the things I continue to do is crush an edge and then try again and make it worse.  I also don't hit hard enough, have the right angle, but make a bad step.  Need to knapp more, but it's about 110 in the shop, makes it hard to go out there.  Fall's a coming.  Thanks again for the videos and the help you've given me in person at the lease.  I might head back over there a week after next.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 01:41:22 am »
Meet at the lease in two weeks?  OK.  I'll leave it open. :)

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 02:12:56 am »
I think Hugh is coming too, need to rebuild the gray blind.  I'm thinking the 10th?  The 3rd is Labor Day weekend.  Which were you thinking?

George
St Paul, TX

Offline skippy1

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 04:08:07 am »
Hi Patrick, I went  to the hard ware store today and found some copper wire. I bought 2 ft of 4, 6, and 8 ga wire. I was wondering how deep you you drill the holes in the plastic? Sorry if Im being a pest, I just want to make sure I get it right :)
Ryan
Del Rio, TX

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 10:21:35 am »
The holes are about an inch deep, maybe deeper.  It doesn't matter too much.  The tools are very low tech.  ;)

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 10:57:50 am »
On mine I just took the a wire somebody had already hardened and sent in a trade and held it up to the chuck on my drill press and set the depth to be a quarter inch less than that.  I bought new wire, but used old.  Worked out great.  I love your low-tech approach Patrick!  When you gonna shoot some video out at the primitive campsite?

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2011, 12:54:30 pm »
Let's see...I guess we are going on the 10th, right?  I might go before that to work on the campsite.  I can film there right now but I would like to make a wikiup or lodge and have it in the background on some of the videos.  I think I'm also going to make some leggings and mocs so that you won't see anything modern in the videos.  ;D

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2011, 03:49:41 pm »
When you video your Primitive Camp site you aughta at least use an Ancient Super 8 film camera... just to make it look authentic...  >:D

Also, I use set screws to hold my coper in my pressure flaker handle, got the idea from Mr. Tower.
Just drill a hole that is a bit smaller than the set screw, into the handle, drop in your copper in the main hole and screw in the set screw.
Depth adjustment is easy once you have the set screw installed.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2011, 04:16:35 pm »
AWESOME vids Man!!  Don't have a chance to get out right now, but when I get off work @ 10pm I'm going home and trying a few new techniques.  Thanks!!
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2011, 05:02:43 pm »
Gus, what's scary is that I actually have a Super 8 vid camera from way back...(not using it, of course) ;)

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline ordcorpdw

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2011, 03:18:05 am »
Man after watching your videos I went and found myself a softer hammer stone that was rough. For the first time I was thinning rock rather than making rubble. Find the point!good stuff....I am actually getting something that looks like  a point! Excited!!!!!