Author Topic: 2nd stave bow new pics / cut down to 51", weight up. (not for bom)  (Read 2407 times)

Offline half eye

Fellas,
     I used a piece of ash slab for my second attempt at a stave bow. Used a bark-spud for most of it and then touched up with a knife. The wood was slightly reflexed in the middle portion and deflexed at both outter thirds, so I steamed a shallow working recorve into both outter limbs. That gave it the unbraced profile.
      Only problem is there was not enough wood to allow much weight, so now it's only 39# @ 26. after some thought I'm gonna cut 2-1/2" off @ limb and retiller as necessary to bring it up to high 40's @ 26". Other than the weight it draws smoothly and even and has decent cast considering the low weight.
      Let me know what ya all think, or if there is something different I ought to be doing. There are 2 full draw pics one is right side up and the second is upside-down so ya can get a true sense of the tiller.
rich
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 01:11:46 pm by half eye »

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: 2nd stave bow / 55"white ash (slight gullwing) not for bom
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 11:27:02 pm »
I would probly recut nocks an inch or so down from where they are first to see how the weight does then cut later !
tiller looks right for shortening up from both ends to me!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Hrothgar

Re: 2nd stave bow / 55"white ash (slight gullwing) not for bom
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 10:50:29 am »
Your brace profile and full draw look real good Rich.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline half eye

Re: 2nd stave bow new pics / cut down to 51", weight up. (not for bom)
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 01:15:24 pm »
Fellas,
      cut the stave bow down to 51", didn't need any retillering and got the weight up to 44/45# @ 26" so I can live with it now. Think the full draw looks ok "as-is" so let it be.....see what ya think.
rich

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 01:25:38 pm »
look's good Rich, how's she shoot, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 01:54:42 pm »
bub,
    aint my fastest bow, but it aint a dog neither. At 15 to 20 yards it shoots pretty darned flat with some 500+ grain 5/16 birch shafts and 125 grain heads. It is only the second stave bow so it probably could have been faster with some tweekin that you stave builders got in yer back pockets ::)....but it is a good solid little bow that'll hunt, so it's good enough for the old man.
rich

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 03:23:20 pm »
Rich thats a good lookin bow , i see some improvements in the second tiller shot , guess it wanted to be shorter. nice to see a short stave bow workin for it