Author Topic: Favorite Book  (Read 7011 times)

youngbowyer

Re: Favorite Book
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2011, 12:10:32 pm »
Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell is a great book. Anything by Gary paulsen is good as well. He's all about survival and hunting and he's actually been in all the situations he writes about it. His autobiography guts is a great book. Its got lots of archery and hunting

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2011, 12:19:42 pm »
"The Child Thief", don't know who it's by, I haven't read it, but I hear it is good.  A story of Peter Pan, but a little more spooky then what we're used to.  I'm wanting to find it on tape to listen to in the car.  Don't forget about 13 Moons, it is awesome.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2011, 12:28:02 pm »
The Shack is a good read as well
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2011, 01:15:37 pm »
criver, I've read "to build a fire", don't remember "she wolf"?  Most of them I listen to on tape from the library when I drive.  When I work for $$ it's usually far from home.  :P
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2011, 02:34:27 pm »
bowtarist, that story is great. I hear ya  ;D The Sea Wolf is exceptional

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2011, 04:52:19 pm »
I'm not much into fiction. Check out "The Lone Survivor" by Marcus Lutrell. I've read it several times and will read it again. Also- The Adventure Capitalist by Jim Rogers (or any of his books).
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline neuse

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2011, 10:17:58 am »
Peter Hathaway Capstick
Death in The Tall Grass and other titles. He was an African big game guide.

I went to the library to reread his books and they no longer have them.

Now I have to buy them, not all bad.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2011, 05:09:03 pm »
Yes Sir HoBow,

I have to second "That" on Lone Survivor.
Sometimes heart wrenching to read what happened to our boys, but Gripping and Up Lifting none the less.

Read the book several times and have the audio book on CD which I've shared with several folks on long driving trips.
The book is darn good, the audio book is Excellent.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2011, 12:31:27 am »
Bowtarist, if you like Frazier, check out Ron Rash. One of our better regional writers-great Southern Appalachia-based stuff. Neuse, if you like Capstick (and who in their right mind wouldn't :) ) check out Jim Corbett's books about hunting maneaters in India if you already haven't read them.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Freebirth

• My Blog
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2011, 06:59:19 am »
My best recommendations (off the top of my head)

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway (Short but powerful, Man and nature, some of the best ink ever put to paper)

A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin (For my money, the best fantasy series ever written)

Cosmos by Carl Sagan (Still the best popular science book, can change the way you look at the world around you and the sky above you)

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky (Seems like it would be bore, but it is a riveting study of morality and tense thriller)

The Life of Pi by Yann Martel (In the same vein as Old Man and the Sea, just a great modern fable)
Southern Ohio

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2011, 10:32:11 am »
Ernest Hemingways "Islands in the stream" and Bourjaily's "Brill among the ruins"   '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington