Author Topic: Recurve Jig Question  (Read 3168 times)

Offline JonW

Recurve Jig Question
« on: August 18, 2011, 08:45:46 pm »
I started to lay out a pattern for a recurve jig and I can't decide on the diameter of the circle I want to use. What do some of you guys use?

Jon W.

Offline bubby

Re: Recurve Jig Question
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 09:25:19 pm »
I used a 5 gal bucket for one, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 10:00:59 pm »
Probably 6" or more radius. 8" to 10" radius might be better for your first.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JonW

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 10:30:19 pm »
Wouldn't 6" radius be like a pop can? I was thinking about something like a five gallon bucket but it seemed big when you look at the circle. Wood is pretty cheap though and I can try some different sizes.

Offline Catnapper

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 11:57:04 pm »
Radius is measured from the center of the circle to the outside so a popcan would be like a 1.5" radius. A 5 gallon bucket would be about 6" radius......i have also been wondering what size of circle to use for a recurve so im glad  u posted this question.  :)
Gillette, Wyoming

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 06:38:16 am »
The smaller the radius the more energy stored by the limb.. :)all things being equal! The smaller the radius the harder the wood is to bend! >:D

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 01:38:46 am »
The larger the radius the less likley to snap the wood.  5 gal bucket is a good starting place.  I should have used that. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 12:25:32 pm »
I used the wrong termalology I guess. A 6" diameter or bigger circle would be a good place to start.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 01:57:40 pm »
I'm doing my first laminate recurve right now...I don't have a lot of hope for it but oh well.  I'm using a piece of 18" steel pipe as a form, flipping the last 12" of the limbs.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 09:56:07 pm »
Mine broke.  So much time and effort it's hardly worth it.  Maybee wood species makes a difference but I tried to use the 4estTrecker method and I wound up piking the bow.  Both sides cracked split and simply broke.  I've seen some realy big recurve tip overlays that were glued on .  I may try that method next.

My radius was the top of a 5 gal bucket for an 11" section that was pretapered.