Author Topic: dimensions for a red cedar flat bow ?  (Read 5281 times)

Offline blades7558

dimensions for a red cedar flat bow ?
« on: August 18, 2011, 04:57:49 pm »
Hi all. I recently came across a eastern red cedar tree my girl friends dad cut down and I found a nice straight, almost knot free piece. I sawed up the tree and got a stave 82 inches long although only 70 or so can god a bow with out having knots runn off the sides.  I was wondering if any one had some dimensions that I could use. I've only worked with cedar once before and I do plan on backing it but im not sure with what yet. Thanks!
build em...break em...sigh....build em....

blackhawk

Re: dimensions for a red cedar flat bow ?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 06:02:02 pm »
IMHO use a 1/8" thick hickory backing. Plane down some sapwood off to have heartwood in the bow. And use all that length if you plan to draw it to 28"  ,and make it 1 3/8"-1 1/2" out of the fades to half inch tips.

Offline blades7558

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 07:47:02 pm »
Ok, thanks for the input also what poundage should I shoot for? I'd like a hunting weight bow but lower would suffice. I like the idea of an english longbow, but wouldn't red cedar be better suited for a flatbow?

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 10:06:07 am »
Hunting weight is fine. Flatbow or ELB will both work. The one I did is ELB looking but just short of the 5/8ths rule and technically not a ELB to the blokes across the pond. Mine does have a crowned belly.

Offline blades7558

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 11:59:03 am »
Nice. ELBs are fast to make to thanks!

Offline bcbull

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 12:39:39 pm »
blades if u want a elb go for  i t but do not shave the sap off leave every bit of the sap go long id use the whole legth if u can iv made 80# elbs with it marc st louis made one a while back 110#  but like i say bro do not take the sap of use as much of it as ya can it s way stronger than the ceader  brock

youngbowyer

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 01:19:41 pm »
i would add a rawhide backing just for security. ERC has been known to blow up out of nowhere

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 02:19:13 pm »
 I just recently helped FlCubanredneck make one from a stave. Leave the sapwood on and start the fades about 2" wide. And then taper to the tips pyramid style. We completed his bow in one day , it was shooting 55# @ 28" unbacked.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline blades7558

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 10:04:41 pm »
The dimensions are cut out. 1.5 wide at the fades .5 at the tips. I think I will leave the sapwood on because there is alot of it :) I think ill back it with the deer rawhide I have left from last season. Its 72 inches long due to a knot that I had to center mid limb on one side. The other side does have like 4 ring violations mid limb on the other side...  so hopefully I can pull this off :)

Offline bcbull

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 11:54:10 pm »
rign s wont matter bro just make the bow man i adivse u work it slow easey and in between scrappin give her lik 25-30 pulls  at where ur at dont over draw it  this has to learn to ben d if u do i promise ull have one heck of a explosion haha good luck keep us posted