Author Topic: Need Tiller help on Osage bow.....  (Read 4265 times)

Offline snag

Need Tiller help on Osage bow.....
« on: August 17, 2011, 01:53:52 am »
This is a 66" ntn osage bow that is from spliced billets that Gary Davis did. At the fades it is 1.5" wide. It pulls 50#@23", I'm shooting for 50#-55#@28". At 6 3/4" brace height the left side has 1/4"+ tiller over the right side. So I'm thinking the right side is going to be the top....? But the right limb has too much bend in the outer 1/3...dangerously too much it looks like to me. I've been using the Gizmo and only taking off the high spots on the right limb and finding I can take it off evenly off the left limb. What do you guys think I should do from here?
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline snag

Re: Need Tiller help on Osage bow.....
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 01:54:31 am »
This is at 23" draw.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 03:20:43 am »
That right limb is a little whip tillered, but I would not say it is dangerously so.  If that limb has not taken set you are not in the danger zone yet.  If it were mine I'd work the outboard part of the left limb to even up the tiller a little, then take thickness of the entire left limb and just inboard on the right limb until you make draw length. Then, make the right limb the upper limb as you discussed.   If it really bothers you, or you don't make weight, it might be possible to stiffen that limb up a little by piking an inch or 2 off it.  I personally don't think it's that bad though.  I'm curious what the other guys think.  Not sure you should proceed with just my thoughts.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 05:14:25 am »
Yup, I think you and George have already hit the nail on the head.
I'd just add, the first few inches out of the fade on the right limb don't seem to be doing anything.
I think I'd take a tad off there (and work evenly along the left limb) to slowly edge towards draw weight.
As the right limb works more near the grip it will take some load off the last third and it won't look so whippy.
If I have to be picky I'd say the left maybe has a slightly stiff spot just left of centre?
Slow and steady wins the day (Other platitudes are also available).
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 07:23:48 am »
I would go with what Del said,it really looks pretty good to me especially since you have 5 more inches to draw length. Slow and easy,that should make a fine bow. Not sure what you are seeing that look dangerous ?
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 08:59:43 am »
My advice is that AS SOON as you see a problem unbrace quickly and work on it.  ;)
You can see when it is braced that there is a problem, you really shouldn't be pulling it at all until you have got the limbs bending an even amount. Personally I wouldn't have braced it until certain that the limbs are even. Also there is no need to brace a wooden bow so high, remember strain goes up a lot with increses in brace height. I never go higher than 6 inch and find that for a lot of self bows that somewhere between 5  and 6 inches max works best.

Offline snag

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 11:20:12 am »
All good advice. Thanks, I needed that..... ;D

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 11:49:29 am »
The brace picture suggests that the right limb is a bit weak, but I don't really see that in the full draw picture. I think you're fine - keep working it down.
Gordon

Offline snag

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 12:31:36 pm »
I took more off the right limb at the fade and more off the left limb evenly to get it to bend more.

Offline snag

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 12:33:20 pm »
I think taking some off the fade on the right limb took the stress off the out 1/3 and made it bend a little more evenly.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 02:20:24 pm »
Yup, that looks very nice now. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline snag

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 02:45:34 pm »
Can't remember who does this with the eliptical shape superimposed over the bow....but it helps me to see the shape of the bow better.  I pulled it to 24" and got 50#.  At 4 more inches to go do I just watch it's shape and keep pulling several times at each inch? 30-40 pulls to each inch mark up to 28"?  Is there anything you would do to get the outer 1/3 of the right limb to bend more evenly? Take a little off the area out near the tip? Or just before the area that was bending too much?

Offline snag

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 05:09:17 pm »
 :-\?

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 07:42:24 pm »
I think your tiller is looking good now, but I like to leave my tips a bit stiff, just like in your last picture.  But to answer your question, I would just keep removing wood evenly now, making sure your tiller doesn't do anything funny along the way.  If you want to get exactly 50lbs @ 28, you could tiller it to 50 @  27 and the last 2 or 3 lbs you'll lose from final sanding and shooting it in, which will put you pretty close to 50 @28.

Offline snag

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 08:18:20 pm »
Thanks Cameroo, I'll take that path until I reach 28" and 50#+. Then I'll work on the handle.