Author Topic: Crack in the growth ring, What to do?  (Read 2628 times)

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
Crack in the growth ring, What to do?
« on: August 16, 2011, 06:55:02 pm »
I spent this morning working with my buddy's 15 yr old son on his second bow, his first was a hickory sapling. Since his dad is the one I made my first osage for, and is the one who got the Osage for me, I really want to get his boy one working for this fall. He got it all worked down and a ring mostly chased this morning when we saw this crack one ring below our target ring. There might be enough to go down another ring on the limb with the crack but the other one split to thin to go any deeper.
Option 1: chase down another ring on just the one limb fading into the one above at the handle.
Option 2: fill with superglue and try to clamp it tight.
Option 3: Not experienced enough to think of a third one!

What do you guys think.
The pictures were taken with my phone so I'm not sure if they're clear enough to see what I'm talking about.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Crack in the growth ring, What to do?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 07:22:55 pm »
I'm not sure I see the crack. I am wondering why you chase a ing on hickory. Take off the bark and make a bow. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Mark Anderson

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 07:52:54 pm »
George, this one is Osage. The color of the picture is a bit off. The crack is hard to see but it is there. Just between the back ring and the next one down. I don't think it travels very deep but I want to be sure to keep it wide enough for his first real bow build. It is 1 3/4" at the fades right now.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline bcbull

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 08:23:26 pm »
im with jewage  but hey bro if it s osage take another ring off looks like there s plenty to work with brock

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 09:21:52 pm »
Oh sorry. Read it too fast. Do take it own. You don't need much osage to get  a good bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 12:10:54 am »
If that is a split between growth rings and goes in parallel to the back of the bow YOU DON'T WANT IT!  I tried filling one with runny superglue and backed it with sinew...and it blew!  Take it down to the next good growth ring and go from there.  Good luck!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 12:43:12 am »
Those could be wind shakes. They are made when a tree twists and turns in the wind causing the growth rings to seperate. I would get it down below the visable shakes but beware of others that might be unseen.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mark Anderson

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 12:56:43 am »
Thanks guys. I talked to him tonight at church and we will chase another ring. It's such a clean stave that the ring chasing I quite easy for him to do.
Mark

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 07:51:05 am »
The one with the crack you said had enough wood to chase another ring,correct? and the other don't.I would chase the one limb with the crack right up to the handle[nonbending area] and leave the other like it is,I have done this several times. As long as you are in a nonbending area there is no problem. I would rather do that then fill with glue,glue and rap is OK if You don't have any other option , if you have enough wood you have a better option in my opinion. :) If you think about it ,it ant much different that working a pair of billits that have been spliced. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Mark Anderson

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 11:35:58 am »
Thanks Pappy, that is good to know. That was my first thought but I wasn't sure if it would work, what you say about being like billets makes sense.
Mark