Author Topic: Arrow rests  (Read 4736 times)

youngbowyer

Arrow rests
« on: August 14, 2011, 01:31:09 am »
Just wondering if there is any advantage to shooting with an arrow rest. Does it improve accuracy?
Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Arrow rests
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 01:46:54 am »
It can improve accuracy by having a constant arrow pass but there are other methods of doing this. A floppy rest will achieve the same thing but is more like shooting off your hand.
  If you shoot a well tuned bow and arrow combo the arrow shouldn't touch the bow at all when released. It should go around the bow and over the rest(archers paradox). If the arrow touches the bow(or rest) after it is released it is not tuned for the bow.
  Here is a "how to" on the floppy rest...actually drawn by Mickey Lotz, the inventer!...
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 06:05:48 am »
I LOVE the hand...and the ferret...sweet.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 12:01:09 pm »
  If you have good form and release I don't think so with feathers. No matter what those feathers go over they go over at the same point. I've shot off the wood for 21 years. Ofcorse I don't shoot very good anyway. I can't uselly pin point but at 20 and under I'm within and inch or 3 everytime. I know the compounders are rolling there eyes but I'm not shooting 10 rings. So I'll pull my own string a little. I have 36 bucks with selfbows 4 PY's.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 12:52:24 pm »
Pat,
That's the same design I use on my bows. I didn't realize others were using that same design.

youngbowyer,
I prefer an arrow rest for 2 reasons, consistency of arrow placement and protection of the hand. My hands usually end up bloody if I shoot "off the knuckles".

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 01:00:36 pm »
Matt, I started using the Floppy Rest primarily to protect my hand. Over the last few years(I'm 61 now) my skin has thinned and gets damaged easily. This simple inovation that Mickey came up with still allows me to feel like I'm shooting off my hand but has prevented and injuries to my shooting hand when I have a bad release or a crooked arrow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline johnston

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 02:39:44 pm »
young it is a matter of preference and skill. I like a rest but have really worked on "off the hand" and with a tuned set-up there is no difference in accuracy.

Pat you gave me that drawing a few months ago and it is still backwards  :laugh:

crooketarrow you are the man!Thirty six bucks with a selfbow ain't a little thing.My compliments.

Lane

Offline lowell

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 03:31:59 pm »
I usually put on some type of rest but I do like to shoot off of my hand.  But when I do I feel like I don't always have my hand in a consistant place!!

For those who do shoot off their hand....... do you put some point of reference on the grip to feel for a proper grip??
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 03:41:14 pm »
Lowell, I use a bulbous handle for that very reason. Once I get a grip(  ??? ) my hand is in the same place each time. I also like the bulbous grip so I can get the limbs to bend right up to the handle and can feel the "give" right at full draw. Even when I used a leather wedge as a rest it was only for location purposes.

Offline half eye

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 04:09:04 pm »
Fellas,
     Ya got real good advice there. This old man (65) shoots off the hand, only cause I allways done it that way. My bows all carry a "bowyers mark" like on an ELB where I put my hand. It's either a file mark (if no grip wrap) or if it has a leather grip I "skive" cut in a line into the leather for the same purpose.
rich

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 04:21:11 pm »
I like a stacked latigo rest on my tree stand bows. I like to hang my bow with a bullet in the chamber while on stand. Thats tough to do off the knuckle! However, I love shooting off my knuckle and probably have more bows buillt that way. Ground hunting, turkey hunting and just for fun shooting I always grab an off knuckle shooter.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 05:09:20 pm »
I don't need a rest but it helps. A couple of leather pieces work as a shelf.  My current bow doesn't have one. I rest the arrow on my hand and "the mark"  is the top of the leather handle covering. More on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 11:33:47 pm »
I agree with Pearl Drums, I like the rest in the stand for the purpose of leaving an arrow nocked and loaded. But a couple years ago I missed an opportunity on a buck that came in one my right side, I got busted trying to turn for a shot. It was then I started shooting of the hand so I could shoot left or right handed, I ever see that buck again on my right side and he's goin on the grill. ;D

Tattoo Dave 
Rockford, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 01:41:04 am »
While I'm on stand I keep the bow across my lap and an arrow at hand! Easier for me to get ready for a shot from that position without much movement.

When I stand I hold the bow in my hand and have an arrow nocked.

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 02:29:36 am »
like jawge i use the top of the leather grip , Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹