Author Topic: Sturgeon  (Read 7064 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: Sturgeon
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 04:34:21 pm »
Sturgeon roe is AWESOME eating.  Pluss the meat is wonderful smoked.  Had both on my last trip to Russia.  I hope our #s come back enough to open up viable fishery.  Here in Iowa we have shovel nose and lake.  Lake sturgeon needs to go back but the shovel nose can be kept from some areas.

It's one reason I so emphatic about dealing with invasive species like the Asian carps, which are also excelent eating, they pose a threat to older established native species.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 06:22:56 pm »
Prarie Bowyer,

So those crazy jumping Carp are good to eat?
Been wondering about that, would love to kill a bunch of the darn things with a bow.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Stoker

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 08:20:24 pm »
Prarie bowyer all we have is lake as you can see.We are trying again sunday.Might have to give one a tummy tuck ey Gus
thanks leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 09:06:26 pm »
Stok', I wouldn't broadcast it on the World Wide Internet. ::) 8)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 04:11:56 am »
Yea I wouldn't advocate breaking the law.  Caviar comes in three grades and must come from a Sturgeon. Beluga is expensive because the fish are being hunted to extinction.  The twolower grades I've had and I find them similar.  I'm sure a Russian would slap me for what I'm about to write next. OK, OK, I HAVE been slapped for saying this.  American Paddlefish roe is a VERY close stand in for the middle grade of Russian/Iranian caviar.

Our sturgeon are protected for a reason.  If you gotta try it there are sturgeon farms that sell the meat and roe.  The eggs aren't eaten right out of the fish.  They are seined, rinsed, salted and cured.  You can find the process on Youtube.

Yes Asian carp are excellent eating.  There are floating bones in the fillet but they are quite large on most of them.  We get allot of "Big Head" carp.  Cleaning one of those is faster than cleaning 5 Crappie or Wipers.  The Dept of LA DNR did a video series on how to totally debone them.  You tube flying fish great dish.  It's a bit of work.  I don't go through all that.  I rip the fillets off skin them, and remove the red flesh which isn't much.  From there I either smoke it in my Webber kettle or dust it with Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime, grill it on high heat till done.  then I flake it away from the bones.  Bend the fillets in small portions across the grain and they will pop right out.  the pile of meat is then used for fish tacos.  The smoked meat is great warm or cold with crackers and cream cheese or my favorite as a filler to a thin omelet with a bit of cheese.  Man I'm getting hungry talking about this.

The Obama admin. and the Bush admin spent serious money on the problem.  Part of that included working with a commercial chef to tray and develop a commercial demand for the meat.  Because of the bones it's economically borderline.  Americans don't care for fish bones.  Removing them in mass means presteaming the fish then flaking the bones out.  I winds up being on par with lobster . . .  which it isn't.  It is still excellent eating.  The texture is somewhere between grouper and Mahi.  It's a snow white large flake meat that also frys well.  I love the stuff.

Other cultures eat bony fish all the time.  In Hawaii they eat the "bone fish" by scraping the meat out of it with a spoon, forcing it through a collander to get any missed bones or scales out and then either fry up a burger patty(with herbs and seasoning) or serve as a raw fish pudding.

a man named Sam Wood has a bow fishing guide service and did a youtube video on cooking Buffalo carp.  They have the same bone structure and it works for the Asian carp (which aren't actually a carp . . . it's just a name).  He uses a a meat grinder for the fillet then fries fish balls.  I want to try this soon.  I have a processor but that should work.  Large ones are best boned out or grilled or steamed and flaked.  The smaller ones (1.5 - 2 feet long) will grind. 

I tried pressure cooking a medium one to "soften the bones".  It didn't work that great for a 30 min cook.  At 45 min chicken bones are edible so 30 min should have been more than enough.  Meat was really soft. 

There is a slight texture difference between the Big Head and the Silver.  Silver is a little softer.  If I didn't know better I'd say they were a salt water fish in terms of texture.

I also want to try one blackened but I have a wife sensitive to spice and a 4 year old girl so that wont be happening any time soon.  Blackening is easy.  Get the spices in a can.  If you get the "Paul Perdon" just follow the instructions . . . he invented the dish.  If not dip the fish in melted butter and dust generously with the spice mix.  Think coating no dusting.  Flop into a rocket hot cast iron skillet for 2-3 min per side and it should be done.  It makes allot of smoke so I do in my grill.  You could maybee do it over the coals.

jeez ! now I'm hungry!

Hope the info helps.  Eat them all.

Here is a spiel about how to smoke them.

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=107828

Offline Stoker

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 04:26:27 pm »
Mullet &Pb I was kidding bout that.I'm not one to do such a act  O:) just having a laugh.
Went out this weekend and got 3 48'' and a couple at 36'' and a few little ones.
Everyone safe and sound.A bad day fishing better than a good day at work.
Thanks Leroy

Offline Gus

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 06:12:13 pm »
Hey Guys,

I too was just kidding, just giving Sturgeon guys a hard time.

Just for the record, as it now seems necessary to state:

Though I may be a bit of a Pirate at heart there is no Soft Spot in me when it comes to Hunting-Fishing Regs.
The number to Operation Game Thief is 1-800-352-0700, I've had to make the call twice while fishing and will not hesitate to do my duty again.

The fact is I have a somewhat twisted sense of humor. Did not mean to offend.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2011, 11:01:01 pm »
At no point in this thread did I for an instant believe that someone was encouraging breaking game laws.  We hunters and fishers are the original and still largest and most active group of conservationists in the world...both by population and by dollar amounts!!!

This communty of Primitive Archers stands head and shoulders above the crowd in what we stand for in fair chase.  Makes me proud, real proud.   You all deserve your backstraps.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 01:34:44 am »
Honestly I don't know that it's really fair chase.  I mean . . . I mostly get to look at animals I can't shoot for various reasons and give up arrows to the game gods.  They have the clear advantage when I'm in the woods. 

Infact, when I'm honest I've that the thought . . ."It's 6:00, I'm tired and hungry.  If I hit the mark I gotta clean that tonight".
I do kill allot of foam and card board.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 09:31:31 pm »
All in good fun.Gus ifin your in SE alberta sometime I'll show you how to release a sturgeon
approved method only :) :)
Thanks leroy

Offline Gus

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2011, 04:59:14 pm »
Thank You for the invite Stoker, I have no doubt it would be a blast.

And back at ya, if you find yourself heading for Houston, look me up.
I will be happy to demonstrate the proper way to release legal size Speckled Trout and Redfish... into a hot grease jacuzzi or onto the grill.

:)

-gus

Conroe, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2011, 05:23:18 pm »
I didn't think anybody was outlawing either :-X I was just saying if someone was having those kind of thoughts for real, be carefull what you say ;D
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2011, 07:46:19 am »
We have the Gulf strergeon here in Yellow river, They put on a show jumping out of the water,usally in the 6-8 ft range,once every couple years one will jump in front of a boat and all hell breaks loose,,a lady was killed several years back! Never caught one but if you do you better git him released quick! You could get less time for robbing banks than you would keeping one of them! ;D
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Stoker

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2011, 12:35:17 pm »
Our sturgeon jump too.A real site when a 6-8' comes outta the water.Never heard of one hitting a boat around here.I'll have to agree rob a bank is less time than keeping a sturgeon be easier to buy skins online somewhere.Sunday morning round 8 us vs the river show starts at 6
Thanks Leroy

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2011, 01:17:54 pm »
 Rick;
Two people have already got smacked real good in the Suwannee River this year. One on a Jet Ski and a women got her leg broke when one jumped in the boat she was in.
 Be scuba diving with just a light in the Suwannee when one of those big suckers swims by you. It'll scare the crap out of ya. :o
Lakeland, Florida