Author Topic: Saturday Bow  (Read 15259 times)

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
Re: Saturday Bow
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 04:58:37 pm »
hmmmmm...I've never done a hog.  I'll have to start on that today just in case. 
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 05:13:10 pm »
Ever done a Falconer with a hawk on his glove?
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 05:17:35 pm »
Yes.  I'll dig up a pic afterwhile.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 05:25:20 pm »
Falconer with hawk on glove? Awesome!

I want mine with the hawk's tail done with copper, she's a red-tailed hawk after all!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2011, 05:56:59 pm »
Yes.  I'll dig up a pic afterwhile.

Very cool!

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 02:04:48 am »
Makenzie,

I had such high hopes for today.  But, right after lunch a friend called, wanting to talk, and we ended up spending the afternoon together (did get some knapping in while I listened).  We invited his whole family over to swim and have dessert.  Never did get back to the bow.  Hope to get back at it tomorrow after church.  So much for shooting the bow today.  But, being there for friends is important. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2011, 02:13:45 am »
I'm not at all worried.  Work only takes precedent over friends and family and mental health and all that when you're relying on the work to take care of those concerns.  I doubt the little "diorama" is going to put bread on your table...set it on the back burner whenever you want.  I'm still getting the better end of the deal :)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2011, 10:24:56 pm »
Well I went out after church, bought a new heat gun, then reheated and straightened the recurve.  Just now I finished laying out the bow and took it to floor tiller.  Even though the humidity is low, the heat took its toll on me and I'm relaxing in the A/C for awhile.  Here's what the bow looks like now.

Interestingly, the very narrow curvy limb is naturally stiffer and I'll likely put it on the bottom.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2011, 10:32:04 pm »
George that looks great!  But...really...don't stress yourself over it.  It's way too hot out to do that...we were over 100* in Lubbock today by 9 and it probably won't break until nearly 10pm.  You can't work too hard in this heat.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2011, 10:47:06 pm »
I'm not stressin, I was caught up on the forum and felt like workin. :)  If I have enough iced tea and a fan on me I can last an hour or two in this heat, longer if I'm flint knapping.  It was 101 when I went out there, down to 100 now.  The granddaughter wants to swim so we'll be doing that for awhile.  I'm sure you're way hotter out west.

I'm about to cut the nocks and find a string that'll work for tillering.  Before I do that, do you have a bow length in mind?  Right now it'd be about 66" n2n, 67.5" overall.  We could easily shorten it down into the 62" range if you'd rather have a shorter bow.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2011, 10:51:24 pm »
I like longer bows.  You can always find more character in them...plus my lanky arms tend to draw them easier.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2011, 11:17:18 pm »
The fam's waiting for me in the pool, but I thought I'd post a couple progress shots.  The bow laid out nicely, the string's in the handle with no heat bending.

Will have to take out a little twist in the curvy limb.  I have it almost ready for a short string.  Got the right limb bending too close to the fades too early, the left one is closer.

That bend by the outlet on the left side is where the big bend is.  I will scrape a little more about 6" out from the fade on that side.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2011, 01:27:10 am »
Makenzie, I made a little more progress.  The bow is on a short string now, and pulls 45#@20".  Gonna be close whether I can tiller out that weird left limb, lightening the right limb to match it before I run out of draw weight.  Unless I'm real fortunate, I'll have to heat treat to get back some draw weight.  I think both limbs look a little stiff midlimb and out.

Here's an unstrung look (sorry about the obnoxious shadow).

I was premature liking the way the string lay.  Under load, the string lies just outside the handle.  I think the curvy limb is going to be OK and the straight limb will need to have some twist taken out.  Tomorrow.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2011, 01:40:36 am »
That looks great.  Don't worry about it if the draw is lighter...I like shooting lighter bows more often than not.

I wish I could say I'm making as good a progress on your boar lol...I've had one good one come out but it was too big!  Now that I got it down, though, I think I tighten it up and make it a more fitting size.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2011, 04:57:46 am »
You are working miracles with that stave George.
I quite like the idea of a bow with one limb ELB and the other a flat recurve.
Probably great for shooting up hill, or, reverse it to shoot down hill :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.