Author Topic: Saturday Bow  (Read 15263 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: Saturday Bow
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2011, 02:46:01 am »
Man! I hope you can save it George!  I've enjoyed watching you're progress.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2011, 03:17:14 am »
george  how close  are ya to final tiller ?  if ur close i say get the loctie and fill it clamp it a bit let  e dry and  then if u must tiller scrape the belly to get er lined up  then wrap it with sinew  i just did one a week ago like that and then sutrate the sinew all the way around w/ loctite   so far it s workin good ill try get my sis in law who i bulit it for to post a pic tmw  brock

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2011, 09:50:35 am »
Guys,

This bow is going to shoot, it just won't look the way I had wanted it to.  I was pretty discouraged last night, but the truth is that a setback like this isn't a huge deal.  The bow's going to end up with each outer limb wrapped, one because of need and the other to make it look like I wanted it that way.  The tiller won't be spot on but, since it is osage, it will still shoot and last just fine.  I may not get the draw weight as low as makenzie wanted and it may take a little set with the inner limbs working a little harder than I'd hoped.  That's the way it goes working with wood.  It'll still be a nice shooter. 

George
St Paul, TX

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2011, 02:50:08 pm »
George it seems to me half the snakey bows I work on crack somewhere or another. I've yet to figure out how to make a snakey bow w/o band aids!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2011, 04:25:19 pm »
peral drums  PAINTANCE bro lolol i love them snakes lol brock

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2011, 04:56:50 pm »
Yea PD, every time the character is caused by wood going around a big branch like this there's a good chance the branch died and there's all sorts of damage.  Not only that, but any scar in osage seems to let water and ants down into the center of the heartwood where they seem to make a terrible mess.  If it weren't such good bow wood, it certainly wouldn't be worth the hassle.  I like snaky wood too, wish I could find more of it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2011, 07:08:35 pm »
If youlike snaky wood I'll send you a load of mesquite lol...it doesn't snakier than what we have growing around here.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2011, 11:13:12 pm »
I just split a log of mesquite last night before I worked on your bow.  It looked straight on the tree, but doesn't anymore. :(

Our deer lease is covered up in Mesquite, but it took me many trees to pick the crooked one I brought

George
St Paul, TX

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2011, 11:34:42 pm »
I've cut a couple into boards and backed them with hickory.  I have yet to find one that doesn't twist.  I'm pretty sure the stuff grows in a spiral.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2011, 02:09:03 am »
My log was pretty straight when I cut it, noticeably more crooked now.  The first split blew out the side, but the one I did yesterday was pretty straight considering.  I hope to back mine with a thin osage veneer they cut to true up the osage I had milled.  If the mesquite goes really crooked I'll have to do a lot of heat bending before I can glue on a backing.

I'd think a board of mesquite would really have grain violations as crooked as they grow?

I took the shellac off that bow limb, clamped that crack shut and superglued it.  Had hoped to do more, but I got a new laptop for the wife and spent the entire evening setting it up.  Gary's coming over first thing tomorrow and while he's working I'll wrap that limb.  Hope to have more tillering pics tomorrow.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2011, 09:31:31 pm »
Finished up the thread wrap, it's about 12" long.  The front side is better than the back. :(

Makenzie, I think I've gone as far as I'm going to.  I'm sorry, I didn't get your weight low enough.  Here's brace:

I stopped tillering at 28", but it'll go to 29 or 30 though I'd avoid it.  It is 55lbs @ 28".

The crooked limb is actually a little stiffer than the straight one.  The string goes through the handle better than I expected.

I'd shoot it and try each limb up and see what feels better.  Anything else you want me to do?  How's the archer and pig coming?

A week ago I intended to build this bow in a day, or a weekend.  Best laid plans... ;D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2011, 10:09:57 pm »
That's awesome and well far enough.

What kind of bow would you like the archer to have?  Everything else is ready for it.  I'll post pics tonight.

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2011, 10:13:03 pm »
Would you like the base stained light or dark?  And all I got on hand to seal it really is poly...is that fine or would you prefer something else?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2011, 11:10:58 pm »
As long as the bow is traditional, I don't care.  Here's the bow I've been hunting with if you want something to copy.  Poly is fine on the base, it doesn't have to be stained.  No rush though, so do what you want.

This is not Makenzie71's bow.

Thanks again.  This has been fun.

George
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 10:10:24 am by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2011, 02:58:22 am »
excellent build a long George. I think you tamed that beast pretty well. great looking full draw.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis