Author Topic: Question on my mess up?  (Read 2780 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Question on my mess up?
« on: August 04, 2011, 09:30:03 pm »
I just finished a sinew backed Yew short bow for my grandma (this is my first sinew backed bow) and while shapeing it for sinew I made the back flat and the belly rounded, the rough bow had about 2" of reflex before applying the sinew and after applying the sinew and letting that dry and cure it now has about 1/2" deflex. I tillered the bow out to a short draw length about 15" as its just a wall hanger and about 43" long end to end. So my question is next time I attemp one of these bows would I be safe to assume that I should round out the back of the bow and keep the belly mostly flat?? Any info would be appretiated, thanks.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Badger

Re: Question on my mess up?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 09:38:57 pm »
  I am thinking you may have mixed up your belly and back. The belly is closest to you when you are aiming the bow and the back is away from you. The sinew goes on the back. Sinew will increase reflex not reduce it. Something wrong in your explanation that doesn't make sense. Maybe try and explain again, learning the terms can be a little tricky at first. Steve

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 09:47:40 pm »
Lol Thanks badger I know the difference between the belly and back ;D I sinewed the back of the bow and it was flat before sinew was applied, the belly was rounded. And yes it whent from reflexed wood to deflexed wood when the sinew dried.

Josh
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 09:52:12 pm by Elktracker »
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 09:55:04 pm »
Josh, the sinew should have at least held the reflex the bow already had or drawn it into more reflex. I can't imagine why it would draw it into deflex.  :o   :-\
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 09:58:37 pm »
Ya thats what I thought?? I was thinking maybe the back being wider (flat) than the belly maybe it just went toward the side with less wood.

Josh
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 10:08:14 pm by Elktracker »

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 10:01:43 pm »
sinew shrinks as it dries. That would pull on the back. It doesn't work the other way. Are you in a parrallel universe or something, Josh?  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 10:02:40 pm »
The bow I tried to replicate was the Pit River or Achumawi sinew backed yew, its in the TBB 1 on page 176 and in the pic of the side view it appears that the back is rounded and the belly flat, that is why I thought I got that part backwards???

Josh

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 10:05:17 pm »
Hey Josh...maybe you used erectile tissue and you rubbed it too long while sanding?   >:D >:D >:D
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 10:06:57 pm »
How bout some pictures Josh?  How long did the sinew dry/cure?  Almost all my sinew backed bows were flat back/rounded belly bows.  That design is fine.  Usually the sinew pulled the bow into more reflex as it dried.  I was able to tiller one badly enough for it to take some set, but never got deflexed tips.  I'm baffled.

Lee... :o :o

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 10:12:06 pm »
Im uploading a video of the bow on my photobucket for my grandpa ill post a shortcut when its up here shortly.

Josh

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 10:14:33 pm »
O ya and it cured for just shy of two weeks before doing any bending, I didnt put much stress on the bow at all as it was a short draw low weight bow. It showed no set from start of tiller to finish

Josh

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 10:37:56 pm »
Ok dont make fun of me to bad here I use photobucket to send my grandpa videos of my bow progress and different projects so all the videos in my album are for him lol. You can get a pretty good look at the bow in this video, and as for the explination for the sinew causing deflex, that was just what I thought it was when I made the video but its still a mystery to me ;D http://s1019.photobucket.com/albums/af314/mandoman1540/?action=view&current=110804-153741.mp4

Josh

blackhawk

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 11:35:35 pm »
Was your wood totally seasoned and down to proper mc? Maybe there was still some moisture in it and it deflexed from the loss of moisture out the belly side causing it to deflex cause the back was sealed with glue n sinew? I know yew can move if its not totally dry. Just a guess.

But sometimes wood reacts funny when removing wood and releiving a funky stress in the wood. Maybe it was reaction wood? Weird man.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 01:56:53 pm »
I dont actually check moisture content with a moisture meter but it was cut over a year ago and has been in my house roughed out. As far as the reaction wood, that very well could be a possiblity with this piece being a big limb.

Anyway thank you all for giving this a read I may try the more rounded back on my next one.

Josh

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 03:03:36 pm »
Josh, I don't remember reading it.  What glue did you use on the sinew?  I watched your video and nothing jumped out as a problem.  It looked like a nice little bow to me.

George
St Paul, TX