Author Topic: did i do good?  (Read 4027 times)

Offline recurve shooter

did i do good?
« on: August 02, 2011, 10:52:45 pm »
so i finally got tired of my tiny little flatboat and 6 horse. Assuming everything goes through i will be going Saturday to tow home an early 70s glastron v156 Saturday afternoon. it has sat under someone's camp for like 10 years, but ran good for 20 years before the gentleman's wife became unable to ride in it and it was put out of service. it has a 70 hp Chrysler (which im kinda leery of) outboard, new tires on the trailer, new trailer lights, fule was drained before storage, has shop manual and several of the parts needed for tuneup and extra prop, motor is free and has compression. its gonna need quite a bit of tlc and still wont be a very high class boat, but here's the kicker.

im getting it for 200 dollars. the way i see it, i cant possibly go wrong for 200 bucks lol. what do you guys think? (lets just assume the guy is being honest and all, trust me everyone has already told me its to good to be true, but i believe its just a stupidly good deal.)
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: did i do good?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 11:39:20 pm »
 I think you did real good. You can always get $200 for the trailer, a little more for the motor and dump the boat in a ditch in Southern La, like the rest from Katrina, if it doesen't float. Just kidding ;),Trey. If the guy was honest I think you did alright.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 01:16:52 am »
Thanks! And that's exactly what i was thinking. even if i cant get it working i can always atleast make my money back. even just hulls with trailers are going for quite a bit these days.
lets just shoot it

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 02:05:06 am »
I agree with Mullet, You cant even find old beat up trailors around here for 200,much less a whole boat, Ive not had any good experience with those chrysler motors, ::) but who knows maybe you got a good one. Post pics!!
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 10:23:35 am »
Yea I havnt heard much good about the motor, may end up having to find an old johnson or merc for it. I'll get pics up saturday when I get it home
lets just shoot it

Offline cracker

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 11:01:54 am »
Hey recurve I've had a chrysler or two they did ok the parts are the problem these days they don't make em any more. I'm somewhat of a glutton for punishment I pick up the old johnson or evinrude they are the same thing except for whats written on them, rebuild them and go to ride. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 03:17:43 pm »

Like Mullet said, you did well.  The trailer alone is worth the $200.00, if it is in good condition.  The Glastron was a pretty good boat.  A Friend of mine had a 14 ft. Glastron in the seventies, and we put a lot of Kingfish, and dolphin in that boat.  The Chrysler......Well, I have heard from one or two friends that had them at one time or another, and one liked them, one said they make great artificial reefs.  Like Ron said parts will be the main problem.  You might be better going on E-Bay, and listing it as a parts motor, and with the extra prop and parts, you might be able to make enough to buy a better motor.  High class is a relevant term.  If it gets you to the fish, and gets you back to the dock, or launching site, and you are relatively dry, that is what counts.  As for the motor, keep the oars handy. ;) ::)   I have a Friend of mine who used to be a part time bass fishing guide, and tournament fisherman.  And he had to have this type of bass boat, and this type of motor, and this type of racing prop ad infinitum!  He said he had to have all that to get to the good spots first, before they are either fished out, or disturbed.  I told him ok, I will give you that, for the tournaments and such.  But if you can get to the same place for recreational fishing, in a John boat, you can still catch the fish.  And that after all is what you are going for, not to mention relaxing, and supporting those who have stock in your favorite beverage, and sandwiches, not to look cool, in your expensive professional fishing expert shirt, hat, Bolle' sunglasses, shorts, boat shoes, and ph factor, temperature, depth gauge/fish finder, and trolling motor and seat up front, and your 250hp motor on the back.  You don't have to worry about trendy, expensive possesions, to enjoy life, especially fishing.  Hell, I still say you just can't beat a cane pole and a can of worms, fishing from the bank, while you are enjoying a nice cold beverage of your choice, some cold fried chicken, or big sub sandwhich.  It's just very relaxing.  Then you don't have all the work of cleaning the boat, etc.  Trey, if the boat is halfway decent, enjoy it.  At least you won't be dumping your Girlfriend out of it so easily now. ;) ;D ;D   You did very
well.  When you get out of College, and start making the Big Bucks, then you can go for the glitter boats.

Wayne

Offline cracker

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 03:24:07 pm »
Wayne
  That was quite a mouth full. I have a 15 foot jon boat and a 80s model Evinrude which I bought literally in a basket took it home rebuilt it and have been runing it for a couple of years now. I go to the lake and go where ever I choose.
Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 03:42:17 pm »

There you go trey, Ron put it in a nut shell. ;)

Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 12:24:35 am »
  Hell, I still say you just can't beat a cane pole and a can of worms, fishing from the bank, while you are enjoying a nice cold beverage of your choice, some cold fried chicken, or big sub sandwhich.  It's just very relaxing. 

Aw man, I wanna go sit on the Belle Fourche river with my buddies and fish for cats tonite!!!  Add a decent stogie and the aroma of DEET and I'm IN!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 09:27:36 pm »
lol. im going to give the chrysler a try. guy im buying it from ran it for twenty years and swears up and down it never gave him a problem. if it fails then i'll sell it and take that money and some of the 800 more i was prepared to spend on a boat anyway and find a Johnson or evinrude. love those motors.
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 10:48:53 pm »
 Merc'. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 11:03:05 pm »
 I think you got a good deal on a trailer.Not to rain on your parade, but the 800 you have left over will go toward getting the engine running(if I read this right) Odds are you will need a complete rebuild on the carbs ( I think it has 2), New water pump, new fuel lines, plugs and wires and other things I cant think of right now. That's just to see if it will run again.. Odds are the cylinders are rusted up too. Don't shoot the messenger. Just comming from someone with 35 years of bass boating and fishing. I would take the $$ and look for another deal, but that's just me.
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 01:00:16 am »

Trey stick with the Johnson's and Evinrudes.  Don't listen to Eddie.  He's been around too much phosphate.  My brother had a merc.  A new merc I might add, and he had to replace the power head, and the water pump!  I have friends that absolutely swear by mercs, and friends  ::)that swear at them!   My Girlfriend used to have a mercury, when she lived in Gainesville, near lake Newnan, and she loved it.  But then she is a left wing liberal Yankee from Mass. :P  Which kinda makes me leery of Eddie, being that he is so strongly for Mercs..... ::)
I had two of my Dad's vintage 1950's 25 hp Johnsons, and my Brother has them now.  They ran up till my Dad sold his boat, around 1995 or so.  But choose whichever one that YOU like ;) But like Hill Billy 61 said you may end up spending your reserve on parts and labor, for the Chrysler.
                                            Wayne

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 12:57:26 pm »
bout to go get the thing. probably gunna end up turnin right around and sellin it. dad tells me the day before im set to go get it that he thinks he found a bassboat that runs for 500. go figure.
lets just shoot it