Author Topic: PITA  (Read 3378 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
PITA
« on: July 29, 2011, 12:20:29 am »
You know what that means.....PAIN IN THE A......thats just want this stave was. It didnt want to lay flat, it didnt want to stay straight tip to tip. The whole thing fought me every step of the way, but in the end perserverence, hard work and a TON of dry heat  ;D  later it gave in! I seen a bow in a Stim Wilcox article a few months back of the European self bow champion's bow. I loved the lines so much I did my best to recreate them, but left the snake in the limbs. Its 64" long, 52# @ 28", slightly flipped tips, western diamondback skins and my trademark Lazy Boy leather grip! Im a one man show tonite so no full draw pics, you will have to trust me on th e tiller being good....for now. I will try to get FD pics up tomorrow. As usual our 1/2 MP cam doesnt do the bow a lick of favors. Pappy I will have it with me in Elm Hall. You can tell these guys the truth when you get back from here!  ;)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 01:13:59 am by Justin Snyder »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline seabass

Re: PITA
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 12:36:55 am »
looks great pearl.keep it up brother.i'm working on a red oak for the cook-off,but after that i'll be chewing in to one of my osage staves.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 12:39:53 am »
Looks pretty good to me Pearlie. The braced profile is very nice and the snakey back and snake skin really set if off. I even like your trademark Lazy Boy leather grip.  ;) Can't wait to see the full draw pic.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 07:25:54 am »
Good looking bow,got to love the snake,maybe I will get to see it in person in a few days. ;) :) :) Ha them look like parire rattler skins,just wondered ?Beautiful either way. :) :)
   Pappy
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 07:29:41 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 07:38:37 am »
Looking pretty sweet 8) lazy boy present and accounted for.can't weight for fd pics.aka money shot :D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 09:22:10 am »
Excellent work PD...love the profile too.  The staves that fight you are the ones you remember and the ones you love  ;)

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline okie64

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 09:30:02 am »
Great lookin bow PD. Love the character wiggles.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 10:35:22 am »
You are correct Pappy, my apologies. I was whipped by the time I took pics and posted. They are Prairie's.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 11:33:11 am »
I like it Pearly! You done good ;)! I know what you mean about being a PITA bow. Had a few I spent more time straightening then building the things. But in the end, well worth the extra time.......Art

Offline jpitts

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 12:40:13 pm »
Love the sanke skin on a snaky stave...can't get better than that  ;D
Got one on the stick thats been fighting me tooth and nail too. Had to put it on the back burner cause 9 yr old nephew wants a bow. Can't dissapoint the younguns. Hickory here I come... :laugh:
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 01:20:27 pm »
beautiful bow PD. that lazy boy grip looks good and fits the style of bow. braced pic is sweet. good job on an unruly stave.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 01:49:53 pm »
You are correct Pappy, my apologies. I was whipped by the time I took pics and posted. They are Prairie's.
I thought thouse skins looked familiar ;)  good to see thay made it on a very deserving bow.  Nice work,  great looking bow.

blackhawk

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 02:15:12 pm »
But those PITA ones are the fun ones :laugh:

The bow looks great Chris. Now we just need that full draw to tear it to shreds :laugh: just kidding. Tiller looks great braced and by looking at it I can almost guarantee you nailed the tiller. Nice... wait....huh....stiffy handle :o    ???

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 02:32:42 pm »
Its my hunting bow this year Blackhawk. I had to have a "rest" on it to hold my arrow when I cant, so the rigid handle was a definite. Its the first I have built with a rest in a while. Its just saddle leather shaped and glued down. That was also the first leather grip I have done that wasnt stitched on. That alone added to the PITA factor............Thanks for the kind words all. I will get a full draw "tear me apart" picture tonite!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 02:40:02 pm »
PITA, yeah but you wouldn't really want the perfect stave would you?
Of the ELBs I made this year there was one which was a nice clean stave and almost made it's self... but I'm damned if I can remember much about it.
The others all had a story and some character.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.